[3830] ARRLDX CW HA3LN SOSB/80 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW HA3LN SOSB/80 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 23:29:39 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2019

Call: HA3LN
Operator(s): HA3LN
Station: HA3LN

Class: SOSB/80 HP
QTH: EEU
Operating Time (hrs): 16

  160:
   80:  423    47
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  423    47  Total Score = 57,951

Club: Hungarian DX Club

Comments:

This was the first real SOAB activity for me. I managed to make the full 48
Despite I spent net 24 working hours on preparation (this includes the full
rebuild of the destroyed vertical as well) of course I ended up with
pitch-black
mud walks trying to figure out what the hack could have happened to the RX
antenna.

As I had to skip the CQ160m due to the killed vertical I wanted to try the 268m
2wire Beverage anyway at least in this contest. All HW were ready and set on
time and seemed to work well. Logged 290 stns in the first 6-7 hours I was
satisfied. It would be interesting to see the reasons for after the first 3
hours and 200 Qs the rates fell back significantly to 4 hours and 100Qs.

When I started to prepare for the Saturday night around my sunset I was shocked
when I realized that the Beverage is stone deaf. As nothing changed since the
last QSO has been logged I had no idea what was happened. However during the
day
there was lovely 10C+ temperature by this time it went well below 0. Spent 2
freezing hours with walking the system back and forth twice in the deep soil
but
could not find any sign of damage or misconduct. Had to get used to “I will
listen on the vertical…”

Man, that was kinda fun. However I expected way more noise on the TX antenna
but
in exchange I heard the callers only marginally. This could be called as
“signal
mining”. I do apologize for the 126 stns who called me over Friday evening
and
Saturday morning. Have to highlight the ones who were die hard enough to hold
on
my guessing’s. Not to mention the rate was very slow and long minutes spent
even
without a “?” but simply could not give up…

The propagation seemed to be rather good but for me the W7 area almost missed
completely (AZ and MT reached only). I logged only 20 VEs.

Thanks a lot to Jorge, XE2X for answering to my call, never heard any XE on 80m
yet, hope will not delete the QSO… ;-)

I had a very early management meeting on Monday so had no choice only to quit
after Sat morning. I have to dismantle the Beverage after the contest so the
Monday morning was not an option this time.

Thanks a lot for the calls see you in the SSB leg.

73!
Csaba  HA3LN
http://ha3ln.hu/