[3830] ARRLDX CW W5MX M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bydal@roadrunner.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW W5MX M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2019 01:05:59 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2019

Call: W5MX
Operator(s): W5MX AJ4A
Station: W5MX

Class: M/S HP
QTH: ky
Operating Time (hrs): 46

  160:  121    61
   80:  300    82
   40:  589   103
   20: 1147   113
   15:  305    81
   10:    7     6
-------------------
Total: 2469   446  Total Score = 3,274,086

Club: Kentucky Contest Group

Comments:

Terry AJ4A came down to hit this one with me as a MS. Had a great time although
I am getting over the flu (or similar) that I picked up during the week prior on
a business trip to Phoenix. I always seem to have the luck of the draw: middle
seat with people on either side sneezing and coughing. Such is travel hihi.
Always nice to have at least one other operator to help operate, keep the
generator fueled up and logs on the wood stove fire! Spoke with the guy living
next to my contest QTH this weekend and offered him a job to contract out (or do
the work himself) to get power ran to the cabin and the wiring done inside. Been
talking about it way too long and my regular job just wears me out. I am a DYI
guy for sure, but I just dont have the time to devote to the project right now.

As many have noted, the low band conditions were excellent. Wish they had been
that good during the recent CQWW 160 CW test! Extremely quiet conditions
everywhere, and we were able to hear the QRP and LP stations on a number of
different lower bands that we may not have normally.

Both nights Terry was the anchor man working through the brutal 2:30am to 6:30am
local time slot (Tnx Terry!). Terry really enjoys S&P and mult chasing, I
like the adrenaline of running. It's a complimentary combination that serves a
contest like this well (with only 2 guys and 1 radio to share). I really need to
get a mult station set up and a few more operators to make a serious competetive
go at MS.

10m: Was nice to have a tiny opening on 10 each day to pick up a couple mults.
Had to QRT Sunday for an hour or so due to lightning in the area right when it
seemed the band was peaking for CA/SA.

15m: Was so busy running on 20m Sat AM that we likely missed the best part of
the opening to EU that day (or condx just werent that great to begin with).
Sunday morning I climbed the ladder earlier and it paid off with over 260 EU Q's
hitting the log. No JA or Asia on this band.

20m: 20m was great on Sat. I took over from Terry's night shift, stayed on 40
and didnt head to 20 around 7:30am local time. The band was already hot. Some
good runs. Nice opening to JA/UA0 both evenings. Sunday morning I hit it earlier
based on previous days experience and ran hard. It seemed a bit better Sun than
Sat to EU from here.

40m: 40 was good as well, seemed to improve through the weekend. We left a lot
of meat on the bone on this band with only 589 q's. The last couple of hours of
the contest were awesome to EU. Tons of LP and quite a few 5w stations hitting
the log, could hear everything and QRM/QRN was minimal. We should have spent
more time running here.

80m: 80 was great both nights but like other bands, I believe the second night
best. We put up a full wave vertical loop for EU/South Pacific right before the
contest, worked FB. The last 5 minutes of the contest we went looking for mults
on 80, didnt have time to get the amp tuned up so worked several EU stations
with the power down on about 20W within 1-2 calls each! Great testament to how
good conditions (and the other stations RX) were. I bought a 4sq controller
system and cabling but have not had chance to put the antennas up yet. Next
summer project.

160m: Didnt spend a lot of time here of course due to work/time versus points
ratio that is better on the higher bands. Obviously this mostly is a mostly mult
deal, but did enjoy a few cq's around EU SR just for fun. Quite a few 100w
stations made the log. As mentioned earlier, very quiet and good condx!

Overall was great time with things generally humming! The only real bout with
murphy was RF getting into the computer from the NW Tribanders on 15m Saturday
afternoon. Put us out for about 1/2 hr and missed KL7RA at that time (got them
later). Several 6 band stations and lots of 5 banders, dont have the numbers in
front of me right now. Only a very few examples of intentional QRM while
running. Very good operators in general with just a few freq steal/crowding
attempts during the entire contest. Nice job all!

Best 73's!
Bryan
W5MX