[3830] ARRLDX CW 6Y3M(@6Y5WJ) M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW 6Y3M(@6Y5WJ) M/2 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2019 00:20:07 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2019

Call: 6Y3M
Operator(s): 6Y5WJ HA6ND HA6PX VE3NZ
Station: 6Y5WJ

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: JAMAICA
Operating Time (hrs): 44.75

  160:  671    58
   80: 1056    61
   40: 1779    61
   20: 1848    60
   15:  965    59
   10:   25    11
-------------------
Total: 6344   310  Total Score = 5,897,130

Club: Hungarian DX Club

Comments:

Preparations for the contest in the Caribbeans usually begins with repairing the
damages done by hurricanes, lightning strikes and high winds. The four of us
spent almost a full day to restore the station to M/2 capability. We also worked
on our two pet projects - a vertical array for 40M and a stacked Yagi for 15M.
Josh has approved the Yagi design, despite it was not built from bamboo. We
substituted bamboo with fishing poles :-). The 160 vertical also needed a slight
tune-up.
We regret, that Lali VE3NE could not join our team this time, he was on the
other side of the pile-up at K3LR.
At 00:01 UT Radio-1 started on 40, Radio-2 on 80. Very soon we realized, that
there was an interference between the two radios on those bands. This happened,
because the 80M antenna has been moved to a new location since our last M/2
operation.
We had to transmit on one radio only for a while, until we figured out a
solution to eliminate the interference. Rates were very good at the beginning,
so the incident probably cost us more than a hundred QSOs.
When both radio could transmit, the real fun started and lasted until Sunday
23:59.
Generally the signals were very good from USA and Canada. We can not complain,
even had a short opening on 10, enough to get 11 multipliers.
20 and 40 were the money bands, 80 and 160 were very enjoyable too.
The best 1 minute rates were 10 (once), 9 (9 times), 8 (22 times), 7 (59
times).
The best hourly rates were: 432/h for 10 min, 366/h for 20 min, 372/h for 30
min, 336/h for 60 min and 305/h for 120 min.
All equipment worked flawlessly and the electricity had no interruption during
the whole weekend. Bravo for the Jamaica Electric Company and the station's
owner Josh, 6Y5WJ.
Before, after and during the contest we enjoyed a superb hospitality of Jenny,
lovely XYL of Josh. We had plenty of delicious home made Jamaican style food,
that is exotic, healthy, fresh and organic.
On Monday Josh took us for an interesting tour of the country side, including
visit to the Appleton Estate and a swim in the warm Caribbean sea. No wander,
that each of us would rather stay over longer than planned.
Thanks for the loving care of our hosts, Jenny and Josh.
Thanks for the 6600+ QSOs for everyone who called us.

73 es DX from the 6Y3M crew,
6Y5WJ HA6ND HA6PX VE3NZ