[3830] ARRLDX SSB KH7M(@KH6ZM) M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, fred3830@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB KH7M(@KH6ZM) M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2019 04:34:17 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2019

Call: KH7M
Operator(s): NA2U NY7N
Station: KH6ZM

Class: M/S HP
Cabrillo Category: Multi-Single All-Band HP
QTH: HI
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:   63    21
   80:  413    54
   40: 1233    56
   20: 1823    58
   15:  772    47
   10:    7     1
-------------------
Total: 4311   237  Total Score = 3,043,080

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

Well, that was fun.  I had the pleasure of being joined this year by Andy, NY7N,
from the Phoenix area.  It was my first multi-single phone operation from KH6.
It was Andy's first visit to Hawaii and his first time being the DX.  He is
thirty years younger than I and it was a joy working with him.  Andy's comments
are below.

I'll start with ten meters.  Like the saying goes, "there ain't no meters
like ten meters."  I had a total of ZERO Qs on 10m during the CW contest.
We caught a strong but extremely brief opening on Saturday and I made 4 Qs, all
California stations.  Caught an even shorter opening on Sunday when Andy worked
3 more California stations.  We were hoping just one TX or one AZ or one
WA...one more 10m mult.  Not this time.

Almost all Qs were running.  Search & pounce and, more fitting in this one,
scratch & claw just weren't productive.  I searched the entire 40m band more
than once and didn't find a single station that hadn't already been worked or
wasn't DX.  I was also surprised that there weren't more stations on at those
times.  It was easy to find a run frequency but few takers.  I though this
pretty strange.

Using Telnet from here is a bit tricky.  There are NO local spots, or only a
handful.  It's much more useful in CW with skimmer spots.  I think I made three
Qs from spots in the phone test.  I thought this filter was what I needed.  I'm
going to discuss with my Telnet filter guru and come up with a more useful
option if I do assisted from here again.

I'm already looking forward to next year's ARRL DX contests.

I have to thank my hosts, Kathy and Max, KH6ZM, for keeping us well-fed and
comfortable.  I did a really bad thing between this year's tests.  I got severe
second-degree sunburn on my both of my legs while the XYL and I were in Kona.
This then required three visits to Urgent Care during the last week, transported
by Max, and his expert assistance in tending to the wounds.  He went above and
beyond and I simply wouldn't have been able to be in this one without his help.
Thanks, Max!

Andy's comments:

This was my first time getting to be the DX in any contest, and with the format
of this one, I actually found it makes the operating strategy a little easier in
some respects - just keep the beams pointed at the mainland (simple) and make
sure you're on the right band at the right time (like that's not a bit of black
magic and voodoo when you're operating from your home QTH, nevermind three time
zones and 2500mi from home in the middle of the ocean).

And still, even with conditions being as awful as they were, 15/20/40 were just
like a firehose - it just seemed like there was an endless stream of K/VE to
work. Broke my personal best 60 minute SSB rate by over 50 QSOs. Worked a lot of
friends. Learned a lot. Got some sleep, thanks to a pretty good operating
schedule. Most importantly, I had an amazing time and a whole lot of fun. What a
great experience. Can't wait to do it again!