[3830] ARRLDX SSB N5AW SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB N5AW SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2019 05:08:23 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2019

Call: N5AW
Operator(s): N5AW
Station: N5AW

Class: SOAB HP
Cabrillo Category: Single-Op All-Band Non-Assisted One-Transmitter HP
QTH: TX - Texas
Operating Time (hrs): 31
Radios: SO2R

  160:   32    27
   80:   83    48
   40:  162    60
   20:  360    82
   15:  132    39
   10:   34    12
-------------------
Total:  803   268  Total Score = 645,612

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Not only were conditions poor but I also had some station issues this year.
Saturday about 2300Z someone (didn't give his call) told me I had the worst
audio on the band. Don't know who he was but I do appreciate him telling me. I'm
embarrassed if this was a problem all day Saturday and no one told me. Won't
bore you with the details but was unable to clear things up using the rear
connections on the K3. Still don't know what the problem is but ended up having
to use a hand mike - the only thing I had that I could connect through the front
panel and which did clear up the problem. Then my 40 meter Lazy-H quit working
properly - something to do with the high winds we were experiencing. And I
continue to have high level noise on the low bands. The SSB contest is never
much fun for me during low sunspots and this made it worse. I thought of packing
it in Saturday evening but toughed it out to the end although I put in less time
than I usually do and really struggled to stay motivated.

160 wasn't too bad and 10 was actually better than it was for the CW weekend
(which isn't saying much) but otherwise it was the pits.

If it wouldn't have been for a nice but short run of Europeans on 20 Sunday
morning I would have had more contacts with South America than Europe. The
country I had the most contacts with by far was Brazil (95). Japan was second at
65. I had more contacts just on ten meters with low power in 2014 than I had on
all bands with high power this year. I sure hope this is the bottom of the
cycle!

Marv N5AW

                                Continent List

                    160    80    40    20    15    10    ALL
       NA calls =    21    31    39    53    36     4    184
       SA calls =     5    11    31    62    87    30    226
     Euro calls =     4    34    38   194     0     0    270
  African calls =     0     1     3     5     1     0     10
    Asian calls =     0     0     1     2     0     0      3
    Japan calls =     0     2    21    42     0     0     65
    Ocean calls =     2     4    30     6     9     0     51

    Total calls =    32    83   163   364   133    34    809