[3830] ARRLDX SSB P44K(@P49V) M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, rog@g4bvy.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB P44K(@P49V) M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2019 18:50:26 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2019

Call: P44K
Operator(s): G4BVY G4CLA G4XUM
Station: P49V

Class: M/S HP
Cabrillo Category: Multi-Single All-Band HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 48:00

  160:  168    42
   80:  693    56
   40: 1822    59
   20: 2190    59
   15: 1094    56
   10:    3     1
-------------------
Total: 5970   273  Total Score = 4,886,154

Club:

Comments:

After operating this event as PZ5K for the last two years, the intrepid three
G4’s (BVY, CLA and XUM) decided on a change of venue this year.  After a lot
of searching, we decided to travel to P49V.  Thanks go to K9RS and his team who
operated from here in the CW leg and left the two element inverted V for 80m and
the 40m sloping dipole for us to use.  The only antenna problem we had was the
160m dipole, which had only one leg, the other half had snapped off at the
centre point.  Further thanks go to Andy P49Y (AE6Y) who loaned us his climbing
harness, which allowed BVY to climb the tower and repair the dipole.  We were
also visited by Andy K2LE, who passed on his thoughts having operated there in
the CW leg.
So to the contest.  Unfortunately, we were plagued by high levels of noise from
what seemed like many different noise sources.  160m and 80m were probably the
quietest bands.  40m was noisy at times and had a very different characteristic
from that on the higher bands.  On 20m the S meter was never below S5 and
unfortunately jumped up to S9+ in the peak band time in the evening wiping out
all but the strongest signals.  The plethora of LED lights in the locality are
almost certainly the cause.  15m was quieter during the day but peaked at S7.
10m only opened very briefly into Texas but a number of stations in Florida and
Georgia reported having heard us but failed to make a QSO.
So apologies to the many stations who we know were calling us but that we were
unable to winkle out.
On a happier note, all of the equipment that we carried to Aruba performed well
throughout the contest.