[3830] TBDC K4LY Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC K4LY Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2019 14:09:39 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Spring

Call: K4LY
Operator(s): K4LY
Station: K4LY

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: SC
Operating Time (hrs): 3

Total:  QSOs = 56  Total Score = 201

Club: Carolina DX Association

Comments:

Main goal the past two days was to learn to use my new "previously
loved" Flex 6500 and Smart SDR software.  That was easy.  Next was
configuring it with the N1MM contests software I've used for over 20 years. That
was more difficult.  Next was connecting to telnet and getting one of the
clusters to populate the bandmap so I could click on a call and be on that
frequency.

The hardest thing was resonating my 630M antenna for 160M with a manual antenna
tuner at the base of the antenna. It had worked OK for 160M WSPR Thursday night,
but with 24 hours of continuing rain I had to substitute my "big"
antenna tuner and fiddle in the cold rain for 40 minutes to get it resonated.
Everything came together by Saturday afternoon, and I had fun operating S&P,
making 56 contacts in the few hours before bed time. Heard several Europeans in
and out of the noise, but only worked nearby countries and states as far away as
CO.  My brain now has problems remembering the call and grid the few seconds it
takes from hearing it, to entering it in the software program. If I submit a
score with the wrong call or grid, then both stations are penalized, so after
being a very competitive contester 10-30 years ago, I now no longer submit
scores except to the 3830 reflector.  Such is one's golden age!
Yes, I worked W1BB on 160M back in the 50's and 60's and have his card.  The
idea of contests memorializing him is tiptop for our top band!