[3830] TBDC K4XL Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, grimm@sbc.edu
Subject: [3830] TBDC K4XL Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2019 18:47:05 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Spring

Call: K4XL
Operator(s): K4XL
Station: K4XL

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 11

Total:  QSOs = 396  Total Score = 1,774

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

This was my first Stew Perry contest.  Since this is not the main test, I guess
I shouldn't have expected a great turnout.  However, there were long periods of
CQing with nothing happening.  I probably guessed too often instead of asking
for repeats, so my corrected score may be considerably lower.

QRN was fierce at times, especially when I was trying to work a QRP station!
I'm sorry if I gave up on you, but I was definitely trying!  I was using
beverages in six directions and they were working...maybe too well at times.  A
station that was only a whisper on 5 of them was booming on the 6th.  Of course
that was the last one I tried.  I was listening for Europe and the station
calling was in Oregon.  I did manage to snag 61 Europeans, all of whom answered
my CQ.  The best DX was with RU8B which N1MM shows as 18 points.

It would be nice to have some AI to quickly switch to the correct receiving
antenna, since the "real" intelligence in my shack seems to have a
problem doing this!

As I said this was my first SP, but it won't be my last.

Icom IC-7800
Ancient Alpha 78 with Dick Byrd conversion to a pair of 3CX800s
3 reversible beverages for rx
Folded unipole for tx
MicroKeyer II
N1MM+ for record keeping