[3830] Commonwealth VP9I(G3LET) SO-Restricted24 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] Commonwealth VP9I(G3LET) SO-Restricted24 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2019 22:20:25 +0000
                    RSGB Commonwealth Contest - 2019

Call: VP9I
Operator(s): G3LET
Station: VP9GE

Class: SO-Restricted24 LP
QTH: Bermuda
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
   80:  135
   40:  231
   20:  186
   15:    6
   10:    0
------------
Total:  558  Total Score = 6,450

Club: Horsham ARC

Comments:

This contest is unusual in that it scores bonuses for each new call area or HQ
station worked, rather than treating them as multipliers.  A standard QSO scores
5 points, with an extra 20 points for every  bonus QSO.  So this is how it
worked out for me.

Band    10      15      20      40      80      Totals
QSO     0       6       186     231     135     558
Dupe    0       0       3       8       2       13
Bonus   0       6       58      78      41      183

Claimed Score: 6450 (up from 5195 in 2018)
For some reason, CAT control of my K3S, which had performed perfectly at home,
refused altogether to function once deployed on Ed's Bermuda shack.  I spent
best part of a day wrestling with this, but in the end concluded there was a
hardware problem in the USB interface to the radio, as not even the K3 Utility
would play.  Manual band changes were therefore the order of the day, OK early
on,  but increasingly more difficult to get right as  tiredness took hold.
Luckily, my logging program SD by EI5DI, allows real-time (or later) correction
of a wrong band and rescores any dupes and everything else at the same time.
This feature is not mentioned in the manual, so thanks to Paul for putting me
straight.
For some reason, my total score increased by around 30% compared to last year
(in Malta), with a very similar set-up of 100 watts to single element antennas.
This was even more surprising as Ed's location seemed noisier than the field
that I had use of in Gozo.  Most of the leading stations seemed to have higher
numbers too, so propagation clearly played a part, even though the higher bands
were less productive.
Thanks to everyone for the QSO's and especially to all the effort put in by the
other members of our World Travellers Team, which consisted of 3B8XF, C56DF,
V31GX, ZF2CA and myself, with C6ATK as gallant reserve.  The other UK traveller
VY2/G3VYI was co-opted on to the No. 1 Canadian team and also did brilliantly in
the unaccustomed weather he found in PEI.