[3830] Commonwealth ZL1IF SO-Open24 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] Commonwealth ZL1IF SO-Open24 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2019 00:15:02 +0000
                    RSGB Commonwealth Contest - 2019

Call: ZL1IF
Operator(s): ZL1IF
Station: ZL1IF

Class: SO-Open24 HP
QTH: RUAKAKA, NEW ZEALAND
Operating Time (hrs): 14

------------
   80:   27
   40:  173
   20:   99
   15:    3
   10:    0
------------
Total:  302  Total Score = 4,230

Club:

Comments:

First time participant in a BERU event after my 61 years in the ham  business. A
really great contest to be in! Because it was not a just-blow-the
quack-whistle-and-fire-duck-shoot-bonanza like the ARRL DX CW that I enjoyed in
February.
This one required a bit of work and turbo charged ears for a geographically
challenged, but otherwise well equipped ZL DX-contester.

Having spend a couple of decades on the grounds of both camps, I was reminded
that compared to their North American ARRL cousins, our customers on the isles
up North are generally less advantaged as far as DX QTH location opportunities,
DX aerials and power outputs are concerned. That makes for more mutual effort
and patience.
What I also really enjoyed was the often genuinely home cooked and hand-made QSO
fare offered by the ops up there on their hand pumps, side-winders and manual
bugs.
On offer was a long menu of individual accents and dialects just like it sounded
on the bands when I got started in the late 50's - before the advent of our
MacDonald style standardized computer generated CW. Like music to the ears of a
now digitally converted analogue old soul.

Thanks and greetings to all the ops whose calls I got into the log despite the
adverse condx - and to the ones whose calls I couldn't catch.
Lars, ZL1IF