[3830] Rus DX W6YX(N7MH) SO Mixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] Rus DX W6YX(N7MH) SO Mixed HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2019 06:50:05 +0000
                    Russian DX Contest - 2019

Call: W6YX
Operator(s): N7MH
Station: W6YX

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: Stanford
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

  160:    1      1        1         0
   80:  131      3       16         5
   40:  211     84       48        14
   20:  251    208       56         8
   15:   26      0       16         0
   10:    2      3        3         0
Total:  622    299      140        27  Total Score = 593,911

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Mults were not being highlighted on my logging computer so I used a second
computer that was highlighting them to check for newly spotted mults. I'm sure I
missed some mults due to this kludgey arrangement.

My main logging computer crashed about 2 hours into the contest and after
restarting I forgot that Writelog has a quirk that causes keyboard and mouse
later reconnected. My apologies for the multi-second delays in my CW responses
toward the end of the contest. Since the problem became evident long after the
cause I didn't make the association until I started writing this report.

I was tempted to go CW-only but in the 1800 hour Europe was nearly gone on 20,
no signals on 15 or 10, rate plummeting. So I started running on SSB. 70% of the
serial numbers on SSB were single-digit and 30% gave #1.

I thought I'd do better on 160 with high power despite the ailing antenna but
only worked NO6T on CW who also moved me to 160 SSB from 80. Many loud stations
- ZF9CW booming in but didn't even get a ?, unlike ARRL SSB when he copied the X
despite my low power. Was sure VE7JH would be an easy second country but also
not hearing me.

I became drowsy and almost quit after 20 hours but heated up a cup of coffee and
got a second wind and stayed for the full 24 hours. I took a lot of short breaks
including one that resulted in a 25 minute gap in the log.

This was my first time operating in RDXC and I imagine it would be a lot more
fun for us on the NA west coast under better conditions. I heard many stations
that could not be worked because they were working stronger stations closer to
them. The contest rules that penalize errors discourage operators from working
weak stations, knowing they will get a 3 QSO penalty if they miscopy the
callsign or serial number.

Here's a continent breakdown from CBSW (changing the Cabrillo to "CONTEST:
ARRL-10" provides all but the CW/SSB breakdown).

----------------- C o n t i n e n t   S u m m a r y -----------------
                 160     80     40     20     15     10  Total    Pct
North America      2     77    150    321     17      0    567   61.6
South America      0      2     14      8      6      5     35    3.8
Europe             0      0     13     53      0      0     66    7.2
Asia               0     48     95     70      0      0    213   23.1
Africa             0      0      6      1      0      0      7    0.8
Oceania            0      7     17      6      3      0     33    3.6
Total              2    134    295    459     26      5    921

Russians were 5.5% of my QSOs.

Country        160     80     40     20     15     10  Total    Pct
UA               0      0      5      1      0      0      6    0.7
UA9              0      9     20     15      0      0     44    4.8

73,
-Mike, N7MH