[3830] WPX SSB NJ6G(N7MH) SO(A)AB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB NJ6G(N7MH) SO(A)AB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2019 19:31:18 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB - 2019

Call: NJ6G
Operator(s): N7MH
Station: W6YX

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: Stanford
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:  182
   40: 1057
   20: 1221
   15:   84
   10:   50
------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Too much happening in the two weeks before the contest to attempt to organize a
multi-op effort. I decided to go Assisted for a bigger contribution to the club
score.

In looking at last year's effort I realized I'd entered in exactly the same
category. That makes it easier to set goals. I had 791 claimed mults last year
so I was hoping to break 800 but only got 794 - still an improvement.

With 10 and 15 so poor lately I didn't think I'd improve on the overall QSO
count but hoped to increase my score by working more 6-pointers on 40 and 80. My
claimed score is exactly 100 Qs less than last year but I worked 120 more JAs on
the low bands which contributed to an almost 500K increase in claimed score. 36
vs. 35 hours on the air also helped.

I didn't even listen on 10 on Saturday while struggling to eke out a few Qs on
15. On Sunday when the SA signals on 15 seemed louder I moved up to 10 and
worked mostly LU, PY and CE but also caught PJ2T when their signal came up
briefly and had a loud XE2JS call me a minute later. I was surprised to see that
my claimed Qs on 10 are higher than all reported US scores including multis
except for two 10-meter single-banders much further south. I agree with N4BP
that the low-noise pre-amp in the KXV3B really makes a difference under these
weak signal conditions.

Spending so much time on 10 meant I was neglecting either 20 or 15 (or both).
Probably not much lost on 15 but my rate picked up dramatically when I finally
found a clear frequency on 20 to run.

Continental breakdown this year had 5% fewer NA and slight increases in Asia and
SA. All 15m NA was local, nothing else heard even on backscatter.

          160M    80M    40M    20M    15M    10M   Total      %
    AS       0     39    240    141      0      0     420    16.2
    NA       0    131    727    890      9      7    1764    68.0
    SA       0      3     17     60     72     43     195     7.5
    OC       0      9     68     15      3      0      95     3.7
    EU       0      0      1    107      0      0     108     4.2
    AF       0      0      4      7      0      0      11     0.4

Thanks to Dennis, NJ6G, for offering the use of his callsign. Thanks for all of
the Qs and especially for all the repeats required on both ends.

73,
-Mike, N7MH