[3830] 7QP N7KE(K5TRI) SOCW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k5tri@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] 7QP N7KE(K5TRI) SOCW LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 05 May 2019 16:44:11 +0000
                    7th Call Area QSO Party - 2019

Call: N7KE
Operator(s): K5TRI
Station: N7KE

Class: SOCW LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 12

  160:
   80:   83
   40:  203
   20:  135
   15:   16
   10:    4
    6:
    2:
----------------------------
Total:  441     0       0  Mults = 50  Total Score = 66,150

Club: Radio Club of Redmond

Comments:

Gremlins!

What started off in the morning rather uneventful with no station faults
changed after QSO #4. All over sudden no CW keying on my newly acquired
and first in contest use IC-7300.
After some fiddling it seemed RFI gremlins were sneaking into the USB
connection. Changing out cables and adding more ferrite clamps and I was
back in business.

40m in the morning proved OK, 20m was a rather slow affair in the morning
and only picked up marginally in the afternoon. Running low power deemed
a non starter on SSB, so I focused on running CW only. Very few phone signals
were heard on 20m.
The party really started once I switched to 40m 0000 UTC. Great signals from
all over the country and lots of stations to work with some great runs.

As planned, at 0500 UTC I switched to 80m to run on that band for the remaining
two hours. There are plans, and there's reality. Sometimes they align. Not in
this case.

Gremlins struck again and RFI killed the USB connection even at low power.
Something weird going on there. This coupled with N1MM refusing to remove its
zombie processes from memory causing multiple reboots made for some interesting
minutes.

What now? No CW keying on 80m? No 80m? Of course not. So I had to resort to run
the last two hours by hand in full manual mode. Apologies for the sometimes
messed up sending, but I have some current limitations in my right hand plus
getting tired after a long day. In the end it all worked out.

I have to say that IC-7300 is probably the most RFI susceptive rig I've owned.

All in all great fun. Thanks for all the QSOs.

Rig: IC-7300 @ 100W
Ant: 3-ele TH3-JRS on roof, 80m OCF dipole @ ~100 ft.

73 Mike K5TRI