[3830] NewEngQP K1KI/M SO Mobile LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NewEngQP K1KI/M SO Mobile LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 06 May 2019 19:47:45 +0000
                    New England QSO Party - 2019

Call: K1KI/M
Operator(s):
Station: K1KI/M

Class: SO Mobile LP
QTH: MA-VT-NH
Operating Time (hrs): 3:10

   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------
Total:    199       0  Mults = 45  Total Score = 17,910

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

I had an overly ambitious route through CT-MA-VT-NH-ME-MA-CT all planned, but it
didn't go as planned.  Haven't been mobile for the NEQP since 2013.  Have a new
car (Honda Clarity PHEV) and it took a while to get things all set up.  What I
failed to check was the RFI from the car while in motion.  Tolerable when
stopped, but S-9+ when in motion.... Ugh.  Gave up in the first 5 minutes on
Saturday.

On Sunday I regrouped and headed for some of the usually low activity counties -
FRAMA, CALVT, ORLVT, ESSVT and COONH.   Found decent places to park in each one
and had a bit over 3 hours of operating along with 8 hours of driving (~500
miles).  The bonus was that while in CT and MA it was a dreary, rainy day in the
40s/50s while in northern VT/NH it was in the mid-60s and mostly sunny! Mt
Washington and nearby peaks still had some snow visible from the north side.
Even saw a field with a dozen deer/fawns.  I knew I was near Canada when the
menu at the truck stop in Lancaster NH had poutine prominently placed on the
menu.

Couldn't hear much of any W1 stations from northern NE.  Only worked NZ1U/m in
MA when he passed me on I-91 in FRAMA, and my NH QSO was WA1Z/m when I was in
the same county in COONH.  Had a partial QSO with K1JB in ME and no RI or VT QSO
either.  Did have 10 Eu mults, 30 states and 5 provinces.

So I have a year until the next NEQP.  I bet it will take that long to tame the
electronics in the car...  I can re-use my map with the planned 30+ county
route...

Thanks for the QSOs!!  73 Tom

80-40-20m Hamsticks on magmount on roof
TS-2000, MFJ-561 paddle