[3830] 7QP K7KC Cnty Exped M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] 7QP K7KC Cnty Exped M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 07 May 2019 02:49:28 +0000
                    7th Call Area QSO Party - 2019

Call: K7KC
Operator(s): K7UT NG7M N7RXL
Station: K7KC

Class: Cnty Exped M/S HP
QTH: UT
Operating Time (hrs): 18

  160:
   80:   296     72
   40:   630   1013
   20:   562    786     2
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
----------------------------
Total:  1488   1874     2  Mults = 64  Total Score = 525,312

Club:

Comments:

7QP Expedition to Green River, UT –– Part Duex

In 2017 Max/NG7M, and I, Darryl/K7UT, operated from the Grand/Emery county line
in Green River as K7UM, the UDXA club call. We obtained permission from the
director of the John Wesley Powell Museum to set up and camp over night in their
park which placed us within 400 feet of the county line. We set a class record
for multi-two operation with 485,000 points.

This location is ideal as it offers lawn, shade, potable water, power and tall
trees! And the motel next door offers all the other amenities including WiFi.

We decided it would be fun to break our existing record for Multi-One County
Line class. And began to make preparations for an effort as K7KC, wth club call
of the Great Salt Lake Contest Club.

On Saturday, April 20th, I along with Graydon/N7RXL, went to Max’s home and
set up the Spiderbeam we intended to use. Graydon demonstrates how strong he is
by holding the finished product in one hand.

We checked out the trailer and equipment that had not been used since Max’s
2012 record breaking 409,344 point Single Op effort from a three county line
from the Utah/Wyoming border.

During the next week Max set up the entire station in his family room and
checked that everything was automated as possible.

The station consists of an Elecraft K3, an RF-Kit legal limit amplifier, Palstar
 automatic tuner, laptop with N1MM+, 20 inch monitor, keyboard, an SDR radio to
provide a Panadapter display, and other stuff.

On Thursday, May 4th, Max drove the trailer and all the gear down to Green River
and began the set up. He was able to find a source of 240 vac power in a
sprinkler control box and with permission from the powers that be, ran 220 to
the trailer for the amplifier.

Darryl and Graydon arrived the next morning with willing hands and more antennas
and equipment and the rest of the setup began.
We put up an 80 meter dipole fed with ladder line about 50 feet high between two
trees oriented north/south. Then the Spiderbeam went up on a 60 foot mast and a
40 meter inverted V was put up, oriented north/south with its apex at 55 feet.

The location was ideal. The weather was perfect. We were excited and in good
shape waiting for Saturday morning.

We started out on 40 meter SSB with a 151 Q first hour followed by a 165 Q hour,
then 260, 136 and 140 hours on CW, and with another 260 Q mixed hour were at
1113 Qs by 1:00 o’clock.

Another really productive three hours on 20 meters followed. Then, Graydon came
running
into the trailer shouting “We have a catastrophic failure!”

Sure enough. A microburst came, seemingly out of nowhere, and the mast
supporting the Spiderbeam failed.

First order of business was to secure everything we could and decide how to put
up the 40 meter Inverted V so we could get back on the air.

After about 90 minutes of Chinese Fire Drill we had a antenna back up and
continued operating.

The rest of the day and evening went well.

Sometime in the Midnight hour we pushed over 500,000 points. In the last fifteen
minutes Max was able to work the last really valuable DX multiplier AM70URE/8
which was worth 50 Qs to bring us up to 525,312 total points.

We think we have another new record. We know we gave it a good effort. We had
great fun.

During the long hours of set up we kept asking each other, “is this worth
it?” Ya it was. It is.

On the drive home we started planning for the next one.