[3830] ARRL June VHF K9CT Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF K9CT Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2019 03:47:58 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  699   234  Total Score = 699

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Best opening was about dinner time Saturday night..good rate for about an hour
to the NE. The first two hours were good and so was the supper hour on Sunday
evening. The rest was slower.

FT8 has had an impact. It effects the number of operators on SSB and CW. The
highest rates are on those modes but most of the concentration of activity is
FT8. It creates a strategy change because you must constantly check all modes
and be aware. If the signal levels are high on FT8, then you need to get to SSB
for rate.

I had spent the last few days checking out the station prior to the contest.
About two hours in, someone told me my 6m signal was distorted. I was stunned
because the last couple hours were going so well. But I stopped and determined
that I had developed high SWR on the 6m stack. This is obviously going to have
an impact so I had to stop and fix it! It didn't take long before I knew that
something was wrong at the 140 foot elevation of the tower where the power
divider joined to the main feedline. After a careful climb up the tower and
digging into the connections, I found a burned N to N coupler! Needless to say,
I didn't have one with me and had to make another trip to get everything going
again. This cost three hours of operating time and quite of bit of energy. Later
I was told that six was slow during that time and not to worry.

The highlight of the contest was working three of the six grids I need for the
FFMA award. W7D was on the DN10/11 line and AG6EE/R was in DM18 and worked
during good propagation to the west Sunday afternoon. I missed DM39 where W7DHH
was Saturday but the band never opened that far west for me. Of course, I worked
W7DHH Sunday when he was in DM48!

Lots of friends in this contest and it is fun to be on phone and say hi.

Thanks for all the QSOs and most importantly the GRIDS.

73, Craig K9CT