[3830] ARRL June VHF K8MR Limited Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k8mr@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF K8MR Limited Rover LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2019 13:28:41 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  20     17  Total Score = 352

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

This was a very limited two part rover operation with Gary, AF8A. The main part
was a very nice 57 mile bike ride on the Allegheny River Trail from Emlenton to
Franklin, PA, and back. We then made a stop on the way home at the rest area at
MM30 on I-80 in the scarce to rare FN01 grid.

Got set up about 7 pm Saturday, and in the next hour Gary had two QSOs on six
while I had none on two. Only a few weak FT* signals heard on two. With nothing
on two I didn't bother hooking up the radios and transverters for 222 and 432.
About 8 I started to tear down the 2M and up station while Gary plugged away on
six. By the time I finished six had opened and Gary was making QSOs.

For the next hour we played tag team at the six meter position, a Par Moxon at
15 feet and K3. Conveniently we were able to run an extension cord to the rest
area building making power pretty convenient.

Very nice opening to the Chicago area and west, with some stuff to the south
thrown in. The opening didn't make it to Florida, only two QSOs in north
Florida.

All in all a lot of work tearing apart my station, but still a fun day.

Got on from home on Sunday. Not much heard, and I toward the end discovered that
the few signals on six, mostly a local beacon, were equally loud on the six
meter beam, the tribander, and an 80 meter sloper. Further investigation is in
order  :-(.

73  -  Jim   K8MR