[3830] ARRL June VHF N2NT Limited Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF N2NT Limited Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2019 16:02:23 +0000
                    ARRL June VHF Contest - 2019

Call: N2NT
Operator(s): K6DAJ N2NC N2NT WW2Y
Station: N2NT

Class: Limited Multi-Op HP
QTH: FN20si
Operating Time (hrs): 29

    6:  542   133
    2:  242    49
  222:   55    20
  432:   69    25
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  908   227  Total Score = 233,810

Club: Mt Airy VHF Radio Club

Comments:

Another June VHF contest in the books from N2NT.  It was nice to have David,
K6DAJ, a fellow CW Ops member, join us for a few hours on Sunday.

No major equipment problems.  We added a mast mounted preamp for 432 the week
before the contest, which did improve receive a bit, but was also more prone to
interference from 2 meter transmit.  Some work to do there.  We reverted back to
the built in DEM L432LNA preamp in the DEMI transverter, which didn't degrade
our RX capability much.  Our 432 7/8" feedline run is fairly short.

Andy noticed his neighbor to the Northeast installed solar panel on his house
the week before the contest.  We noticed higher noise in that direction on 6m
during the day.  We are not 100% sure if the panels are causing the
interference, but it seems likely.  Using the 6m stack with the antennas out of
phase when beaming NE helped mitigate the interference some.

No major tropo enhancement noticed.  There was some local enhancement Sunday
night into New England.  The K3 s-meter was truly at full scale when K1TEO and
N2NT had their antennas pointed at each other.  I have never seen that outside
of local signals before.  Many stations in FN30/31/32/41/42 that we normally
would not hear made it in the log Sunday night.  Also noticed quite a few
"I'm using my new Icom 9700" comments.  Kudos to Icom for releasing
this reasonably priced radio to help people explore VHF/UHF.

Lots of FT8 activity on 6 and 2 and even quite a bit on 432 this time.  Many
strong local signals here in the densely populated northeast, which can make it
challenging to all coexist in the 3 kHz traditional SSB bandwidth, and still
have the weak signal capability of FT8.  When 6 is open, there is just not room
to fit everyone in 3 kHz.  In a few years as SDRs become more and more the norm,
perhaps there will be a way to spread things outside of the 3 KHz window.
Things are evolving quickly.

I thought it would be interesting to breakout contact totals by mode on 6 and 2
meters.  This includes dupes and totals do not match the summary totals.

6m:
390 SSB
 86 FT8
 73 CW
 12 MSK144

2m:
195 SSB
 35 FT8
 10 MSK144
  8 CW

Looking forward to September.

73,

John N2NC, for the N2NT VHF crew.

========================

DX highlights by band

50
N6ED   DM03 2482 mi (Es - ft8)
NR7T   DM38 2047 mi (Es - ssb)

144
K5QE   EM31 1204 mi (ms - msk144)
KB8U   EN71  536 mi (tropo - ft8)
WA1JAS FN55  473 mi (tropo - cw)

KB8U and WA1JAS were random contacts - cool!

222
VE3ZV  EN92  486 mi (tropo - cw)

432
N8LRG  EN80  408 mi (tropo - ft8)