[3830] ARRL June VHF K3YDX SO 3Band LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF K3YDX SO 3Band LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2019 01:12:47 +0000

  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  57     37  Total Score = 2,109

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Rig : FT-991A

         Antennas : 6 meter dipole, interlaced 3 EL. 2 meter/5 EL 432 Yagi

          Soapbox : It is always a challange to do well in this event from
                    the Outer Banks if 6 meters isn't open.
                    The higher bands are always a challenge in that there is
                    little population density here and it is

                    about 30 miles East of the mainland thus many hams never
                    point their beams this way.  Thankfully the rules have
                    changed allowing coordination of contacts via any means.
                    I should do a better job of letting the big gun stations
                    know when I am on 2 meters or 432 as I'm sure a number
                    of bigger stations up North could be worked.
                    Due to the WX and wind here I use the barest of antennas
                    and find it fun to see what can be worked.
                    Saturday started with signals on 6 from VE2 and VE3 as
                    well as numerous W9 and 8 stations being logged.
                    Running 100 watts on 6 to a dipole at about 25 to 30
                    feet and 50 watts on 2 and 432 make things difficult
                    there compared to more densely populated grids.  Sunday
                    6 was not nearly as active and I tried my hand at some
                    FT8 signals on 6 working 2 CO8 stations and a few others
                    while decoding late Sunday some of the guys from FM18
                    and 19 as well as some DM and CN grids.  I could not get
                    heard nor could I get responses to my CQ efforts
                    in that mode.  I view FT8 operation much like watching
                    paint drying but I do see its value but it is
                    not my preference.