[3830] All Asian CW N9NB SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n9nb@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] All Asian CW N9NB SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2019 00:45:57 +0000
                    All Asian DX Contest, CW - 2019

Call: N9NB
Operator(s): N9NB
Station: N9NB

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 30
Radios: SO2R

  160:    0     0
   80:    0     0
   40:   39    31
   20:  140    91
   15:    1     1
   10:
-------------------
Total:  180   123  Total Score = 22,140

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

WOW, my first All-Asian DX Contest! YIPPEE! That was FUN, it really was, even
though I had so many people *not* answer me, and call CQ right in my face.

What a slog!

I called it a "slug fest" when I chatted with KD4D throughout the
contest - we kept running into each other in the pileups and kept score along
the way. I had a 5 Qso per hour rate for the weekend- blistering.

I listened to a lot of white noise, but also learned a lot about propagation to
Asia (something I didn't know too much about), and learned a lot about SO2R and
my rigs, using the deep filtering for the first time ever to pull out the
stations in the face of QRM and noise..... and I learned some amazing things
about my various antennas on the 2 towers -- and even was able to conduct some
experiments while calling CQ on different tower/antenna/pointing configurations
-- it will be fun to analyze later using the RBN Cluster, but these experiments
helped me work 4K9W and  by improving the signal strength by 2 s units with an
expectant antenna combination!

After the first 28 hours on the air, I had only 80 QSOs! I then doubled that
number in the early morning on Sunday, with a good 40 and 20 opening.

Its so cool to communicate over 16,000 km to E21YDP with only 100 W - the power
of a light bulb!  It was so cool, in fact, that I duped him in the last hour of
the contest on 20,  just to see if he could hear me again, and he did! He has
great ears with that amazing station - he was always on the band when it had any
hint of opening!  Many stations in China must have very high noise level, since
they were S9 but could not copy my LP signal. I spent lots of time calling lots
of stations without luck, but in the end, I was only really disappointed not to
get XU7, Cambodia, who I needed for a new country. He was S5 at the best opening
on Saturday (on 2 different occasions), and was doing a great job, but I was
unable to get through - when I was in the clear, I didnt have enough umph for
him to pull me out -- I did get a "?", so I was this close....  Also,
I was unable to work James 9V1YC, but tried for a good half hour during the
contest, and during the last 10 minutes, especially......the Conditions just
didn't allow it this weekend.

My only DX contact on 15m was around noon on Sunday with UN9L, who was BOOMING
IN -  a HUGE signal, 10 dB over S9. I could not believe it.  Also strong was
UN7G at the same time, but UN7G ould not copy me or any other stateside stations
who called him while I listened in. It was quite odd how on mid-day Sunday there
were dozens of spots on 15m from Asiatic Russia and Japan and China, but I could
ONLY hear a peep out of UN9L and UN7G, and they were LOUD! It was as if there
was a pipeline, directly to 22 degrees heading.... no more, no less. Wonder if
others noticed this on the East Coast of the US (N1MM said they were both
located at 22 degrees heading). I could not hear any other statoins at 20 or 18
degrees or points east. The strength of UN9L was incredible on 15 m - kudos! and
thanks to UN9L for the last hour QSO on 40m, making him my only 3-band QSO.

I got a kick at how HZ1TT operated at 037 on the 20 and 40 m bands, since that
was his age :) Pretty clever, so I started to hang out at frequencies ending on
the 8's.

what fun...great way to spend father's day weekend, and the slow rate allowed me
to talk to each of my kids who called in during the day.

Sure enjoyed it, and thanks to JARL for organizing this, and thanks to all of
the ops from the rare DX asia locations for the fun, and who come on for this
contest. I look forward to more of these, and hope to hear you on in the next
contest!

73 ted n9nb