[3830] IARU K8MR SOABCW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k8mr@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] IARU K8MR SOABCW LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2019 12:31:40 +0000
                    IARU HF World Championship - 2019

Call: K8MR
Operator(s): K8MR
Station: K8MR

Class: SOABCW LP
QTH: Chatham, MA
Operating Time (hrs): 11.5

  160:
   80:   45     0       8       8
   40:  104     0      13      18
   20:  134     0      19      18
   15:   89     0       9       8
   10:   59     0       5       2
-------------------------------------

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

We are visiting my wife's cousin in Cape Cod, so I used this as an opportunity
to see if DX oriented contests are better from the East Coast (duh!). I took
along the HamStick collection and got on the air. Antennas were those 7 foot
whips on a mag mount on the Prius V in the driveway (same as used in Florida QSO
Party). I operated from inside the house with a 50 foot run of RG8X to the car.
For 10 meters I just loaded the 15 meter HamStick. Band changes other than 10-15
involved going outside to change the antenna. QTH is about a quarter mile from
the ocean, though with a 20 foot rise in that direction.

Got on Saturday afternoon and found 15 meters open, with the first two QSOs with
MRRCers NA8V and K9NW. Had a great time working the Es opening, with 10 meter
QSOs as close as the NYC area. At one point I opened a VHF log and went to six
meters. Signals were heard, but no QSOs. I suspect it would have been fun in a
VHF contest, from rare FN51, if there are still any VHFers on CW/SSB.

The evening openings to EU on 20 and 40 were good. Even worked a few EU stations
on 80, using an antenna that is smaller than most receiving antennas  :-)

Woke up and got on at sunrise (09Z), but that opening was a lot tougher.

Five band QSOs with W1NN, K9NW, and K9ZO. Lots of four banders.

With the high band opening the contest exceeded expectations. Lot of fun!

73  -  Jim   K8MR