[3830] IARU W1NN SOABCW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, hal@japancorporateresearch.com
Subject: [3830] IARU W1NN SOABCW LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2019 18:53:37 +0000
                    IARU HF World Championship - 2019

Call: W1NN
Operator(s): W1NN
Station: W1NN

Class: SOABCW LP
QTH: OHIO
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:    67            4       3
   80:   208           13      12
   40:   425           23      24
   20:   341           19      21
   15:   143           14      18
   10:    62            8       9
-------------------------------------
Total:  1246    0      81      87  Total Score = 472,752

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

This is one of my favorite contests. (The XYL says that every contest is my
favorite;I guess she's right.) It's the easiest of all the major contests to put
in a full-time effort given the 8 AM local start time and the 24-hour format.

I ended up with 171 more contacts than last year thanks to the good high band
conditions and more time spent on the low bands.  Last year I ended up with 359
QSOs and 1235 points on 20. This year it was almost the same Q's (341) but only
867 points. Obviously I managed a lot more 5 pointers last year.  I just
couldn't get any sustained EU runs going, so for me 20 was really tough. Maybe
that's the cost of the better 10 and 15 conditions. 20 has always been my
weakest band, but the station has not changed from last year, so something was
different this year. Claimed score this year just barely sneaked by last year's:
472,752 vs. 465,393.

I had quite a few computer problems. Several times Win-Test froze and I kept
losing computer radio control.  I had to reboot about 10 times. Not sure what's
going on.

Thanks to the 10 meter opening, I managed 12 six-banders!  Wow.  Thanks WD0T,
W1KM, K1IR, NU1AW, VE3CX, K4RUM, VA2WA, W9RE, K1ZZ, VE3JM, K8AZ and K5GN. Many,
many five-banders too.

NU1AW was really strong throughout the contest.  W1AW/7 was also easy to find.
I heard them on 160 but couldn't get past the QRN.

The station:  K3, A4 tribander at 35' fixed on Europe (thanks K8AZ for the
loan), dipoles on 20, 40, 80 and 160. It's amazing to me that I can run EU on 40
with a simple dipole at 50'.

Thanks for a fun weekend!

73, Hal W1NN