[3830] IARU TI7W(N3KS) SOAB(A)Mixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kamal.sirag@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] IARU TI7W(N3KS) SOAB(A)Mixed HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2019 20:02:31 +0000
                    IARU HF World Championship - 2019

Call: TI7W
Operator(s): N3KS
Station: TI7W

Class: SOAB(A)Mixed HP
QTH: EK70LR
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

  160:    10      0     4        1
   80:   159      2    17       21
   40:   881    415    38       46
   20:   549    764    26       42
   15:   193     24    18       16
   10:    10      0     2        1
-------------------------------------
Total:  1802   1205   105      127  Total Score = 2,444,120

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

That was fun.  Other than WRTC, this is the first time I operated the IARU HF
contest since guest opping at the P40HQ effort 10 or more years ago. I decided
to go a bit against conventional IARU contest wisdom and take advantage of the
fact that it's pretty easy to generate a pileup from here in just casual
operation, especially on SSB.  It turned out that the increased emphasis on
phone worked out well. At about 1000Z Sunday on 40m SSB, the JA opening was
quite amazing.  Super loud signals across the Pacific on both SSB and CW.  40m
was also wide open LP to South Asia at that time - HL's and YB's were 20 over
s9.
40m was excellent, and 80m was good, but this time of year the low band QRN
level here in Costa Rica is incredibly high.  It was hard to run smoothly when
static crashes took out a part of every callsign that was less than s9+10dB
almost every time : )
20m was generally good, with a good EU opening in the afternoon on Sunday.  15m
was disappointing with very few EU stations heard, except for late afternoon on
Sunday when strangely a few came through with big signals.  10m hardly opened at
all from here, with very very isolated spot propagation.
Thankfully no hardware issues popped up during the contest, radios, antennas,
and amps held up well.  I did have some logger issues to start the contest,
resulting in the first 45 minutes of the contest being operated on CW by paddle
:)  After some randomly desperate monkey typing on the keyboard I was able to
get things 90% squared away, but had to re-map certain keys which took some
effort to re-learn with this old brain of mine.
Thanks for all the Qs,
73
Kam
TI5/N3KS