[3830] IARU W9KKN(@NW6P) SOAB(A)Mixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bill@w9kkn.net
Subject: [3830] IARU W9KKN(@NW6P) SOAB(A)Mixed HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2019 00:14:51 +0000
                    IARU HF World Championship - 2019

Call: W9KKN
Operator(s): W9KKN
Station: NW6P

Class: SOAB(A)Mixed HP
QTH: Cupertino, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

  160:    2             1       0
   80:  134      3     18      10
   40:  345    208     26      22
   20:  396    417      5       8
   15:   29      5      1       1
   10:    0      0      0       0
-------------------------------------
Total:  906    633     51      41  Total Score = 741,732

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

As always, special thanks to Tom/NW6P for the use of his station!

This was honestly a practice contest for me, leading up to some bigger plans
later this year, but I really had a great time. I hadn't fully exerted the
effort as a single op since 7QP, so almost 2 months.

But as this progressed, contestonlinescore.net was inspiring me to keep pushing
on -- I was neck and neck with a few other stations in the area it seemed, so
I'm glad I stuck with it.

I wasn't able to get any traction on 10 meters, but it looks like back east they
had all kinds of luck, so totally jealous.

20 meters was ok, but not a very strong Europe opening, and it was in and out.

40 meters, very noisy, as is normal this time of year -- also on 80m.

I actually loaded up the 80m dipole on 160 for a few Q's there, but it's time
for a real solution at Toms.

Station played well, but the harmonic interference is still too much for SO2R on
CW (I keep mentioning this in every 3830 post so that maybe one day I'll do
something about it), but given the growly-sounding distortion on the harmonics,
it's unlikely to be originating from within the station and is probably being
re-radiated by something else. I used Flex SmartSDR 3.0.27 and had my other
radio ready with 2.4.9 standing by, but the bugs were surprisingly tame. A few
times the CW got a little bit warped (as it is known to in 3.x), but I
eventually figured out a few strategies to jostle it back into cleanliness and
for the most part it held together.

I didn't have a lot of high expectations for phone in the contest, but I was
quite surprised at some of the 6+ QSO/minute rates I ended up hitting, more than
once. At some point, someone gave me a little bit of flack for speaking too
fast, and they were honestly right about that (which I'll partially blame on the
Sugary diet of Pop-tarts throughout the contest) but it's something that once I
calibrated a bit was a very nice groove. I've also started to record my
headphone output to study later (after turning in the log of course), and I've
already found a few areas I know I can improve. Hearing fast is more important
than talking fast.

Anyway, I'll see you in NAQP RTTY this weekend!

73 for now!

Bill/W9KKN