[3830] CQWW VHF K4LY SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW VHF K4LY SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2019 22:40:59 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest - 2019

Call: K4LY
Operator(s): K4LY
Station: K4LY

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: SC
Operating Time (hrs): 13:53

    6:  144    95
    2:    6     6
-------------------
Total:  150   101  Total Score = 15,756

Club: Carolina DX Association

Comments:

Everyone has excuses!   Here's mine!
Age almost 79 and can't do a serious contest effort anymore.
Have not operated VHF for 3 1/2 years because I've been doing TV DXing and have
4 TV antennas and four TV preamplifiers on the two 66' towers just feet from the
2M and 6M yagis.  Guess what happens when I run more than a few watts?  Yes, I
blow out he TV preamps which requires  $$$ and climbing the towers!  Not good!
Especially at age 78!

However, after recently buying a refurbished Flex 6500 and hooking up my seldom
used Elecraft XV-144 transverter, I was amazed what I could do on 144 JT8 so I
decided to operate QRP and see what I could do on JT8 from the hilltop here.
6M was open when the contest began, when I went to bed, when I got up, and when
the contest ended!  I got a good night's sleep and attended a funeral in an
adjacent state Sunday afternoon, but was amazed to work 95 grids on 6M.
Everyone was on six, and I found little activity on 2m JT8.

One of the better 6M openings in my 63 years of weak signal VHF operation.  I
had fun.  Hope you did.  With my poor memory, eyesight, typing, and
coordination, I'm not sure I should enter the log officially.  I don't mind
having my score deductions for mistakes, but I hate that my mistakes result in
other's score reductions. With about half the stations worked not using WSJT-x
contest mode, I didn't score some contacts, and scored others because the
station called CQ with his grid.  I don't know how all that washes out in the
scoring, but it makes me nervous.

73,
Doug K4LY  Upstate SC