[3830] CQWW VHF K7HKR SOSB/6 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, azswdxing@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW VHF K7HKR SOSB/6 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2019 12:58:46 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest - 2019

Call: K7HKR
Operator(s): K7HKR
Station: K7HKR

Class: SOSB/6 LP
QTH: AZ
Operating Time (hrs): 14

    6:  54     35
    2:
-------------------
Total:  54     35  Total Score = 1,890

Club:

Comments:

3el Yagi at 20ft, IC-7100 for digital, IC-7300 for voice; Arizona, DM34.
Had a 2m Yagi ready to go, but nobody to work.

Conditions started out bad, but the ionosphere finally opened up a bit at 02UT.
Still only 15 QSOs on Saturday, and 3 of those were in-state.  Should have done
the RTTY contest instead, but at any given time I only have room for antennas on
*either* HF or VHF.  Could not complete a meteor scatter QSO to save my life on
Sunday morning, which was disappointing.

The band was more open on Sunday, but only in dribs and drabs without any truly
good openings.  That was another 34 FT8 QSOs and 6 on SSB, all sporadic-E; yay!
The SSB contacts were with the usual mega-stations (4 of which were on FT8,
too)...and one guy running QRP in EM12; go figure.  I quit early, so I may
missed a late opening.  Not a particularly interesting contest, but not
worthless like the IARU HF Championship was.

Couldn't use FT4 because the Mac version 2.1.0 of WSJT-X crashed even when just
looking at it funny.  Other people have reported this, so I hope it's easy to
fix.

One "solution" to the FT8 "problem": allow QSO credit for
the same station on multiple modes.  Like a lot of us with modest stations
(which make up the bulk of the contest) I get higher rate from FT8 then anything
else, but I would go back to making a bigger effort with SSB if it were worth
something.