[3830] NAQP CW K9ZO Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW K9ZO Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2019 16:16:34 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, CW - August

Call: K9ZO
Operator(s): K9ZO
Station: K9ZO

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: il
Operating Time (hrs): 10

  160:   84    31
   80:  193    44
   40:  370    50
   20:  279    43
   15:   34    16
   10:    2     2
-------------------
Total:  962   186  Total Score = 178,932

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Team:

Comments:

I thought I would put in a couple hours for the club, but the first hour and 5
minutes produced 170 QSOs, so I stuck around. Had a guest stop by the shack
during prime time, so missed out on some of the 10/15 opening, but we were able
to figure out how to configure the SDA 100 SteppIR controller borrowed from
KG9N.  It seemed to make the antenna work on 40.  More troubleshooting needed. I
use bidirectional mode on 20/40 most of the time.
 Overall, the antennas seemed to be working very well, but I am confused that
the 40 meter inverted vee at 35 feet works as well as the 2 el SteppIR at 84
feet.  The low antennas did seem quieter, though.  I'm not sure if the SAL30 is
working.  Time to check to see if the varmints have been chewing.  The raccoons
sure got into the sweet corn at night.  Also, the 80 meter inverted vee at 35
feet seemed to work as well as the vertical on 80. In the winter there was a big
difference.  I could have used a beverage to the east coast and must remember to
put one up along the property line after the crops are in.

It was quite a horse race for the 1,2,3,4 positions as well as those in the top
10.  WT9U, K9NR, WB9Z, and I swapped places frequently.  I know I was hindered
by one radio and one set of antennas because multipliers were not easy to find.
I spent some extra time on the low bands, suffering rate, in order to get mults.
 Never got a good opening to W7 on 80, nor W1 on 160. The antennas I am working
on this summer [160 meter Titanex, and 80 meter 4-square should help. Some west
coast came through so early - long before sunset!  Perhaps tuning with a second
VFO would have helped.  I'll continue working on more antennas as energy
permits. I was pretty tired and finished my time about an hour and a half before
the end.  I should be able to make 1000 QSOs in this thing, but mults are the
key. Not much activity from IA, ND, ME, RI, DC, NM, AK, NV, WY, or AB. Glad K3WA
operating remote from HH2AA gave me a call!

It really was a run fest and I will have to try this contest again.  Not sure of
SSB as my voice is quite weak.