[3830] IOTA G5W(@G3BJ) M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, mark.haynes@yahoo.co.uk
Subject: [3830] IOTA G5W(@G3BJ) M/2 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2019 09:30:33 +0000
                    IOTA Contest - 2019

Call: G5W
Operator(s): G3BJ M6YGL M0DXR
Station: G3BJ

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: Shropshire, UK
Operating Time (hrs): 24

   80:   204      55      143      38
   40:   455      78      370      68
   20:   580      85      634      90
   15:   250      41       94      31
   10:   107      23       42      14
Total:  1596     282     1283     241  Total Score = 10,873,170

Club: Chiltern DX Club

Comments:

A last minute suggestion to Don G3BJ and Hilary G4JKS about coming up to do the
IOTA contest was very kindly accepted and my wife M6YGL and I drove up on
Friday. We had a lot of traffic but eventually got there to meet Don and Hilary
for a meal before going to the QTH to discuss strategy for the contest.

This was my wife's first serious HF contest. She picked up the operating quickly
and was able to run at good rate! :)

The 3 of us did 16 hours of operating each.

Don and I did all the CW operating. It was nice to work so many multipliers and
we were able to pass many of them to the other station for mult slots. 10m saw
some activity, mainly on the second day, which was most welcome. We had a noise
issue overnight which was fixed by don (it was due to the 160m wire antenna
causing proximity issues).

We had wonderful runs to the USA on 20m during the Saturday evening, well in to
the early hours of Sunday. Openings to the USA on 15m never really happened. Don
did work one JA on 15m for the mult, which was great. I remember Georgina
working some south pacific / OC mults long path on 20m on Saturday evening.

A dedicated 10m screen of the band map was running constantly as we knew this
band would need attention as soon as it opened. This helped spot the
unpredictable Es openings.

We are very happy with our score. Congrats to LZ0I, EI7M and GM7V for fine
results. Its nice that the IOTA contest offers some great competition!

We were very well looked after and huge thanks to both Don and Hilary for their
fine hospitality.

See you all during the CQWW season!

73,
Mark M0DXR (obo G5W team).