[3830] WAE CW K1ESE(@W1IMD) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WAE CW K1ESE(@W1IMD) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2019 00:07:06 +0000
                    WAE DX Contest, CW - 2019

Call: K1ESE
Operator(s): K1ESE
Station: W1IMD

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: ME
Operating Time (hrs): 14
Remote Operation

   80:    5          16
   40:  104   100    93
   20:  360   376    86
   15:   34    26    34
   10:
-------------------------
Total:  503   502   229  Total Score = 230,145

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Thanks to Paul W1IMD for the great station.

On Saturday night the QRN was really cutting into the activity.  On Sunday there
was a very weak opening on 15m and I picked up a few more multipliers.   The
rest was mostly 20m, some 40m.

The QTCs are what makes this fun.  It takes a bit to remember how to do it.  By
the end, you start to see strategies for making sure you don't end with any on
the hook.  I managed the QTCs well enough that I only had one unsent when I quit
about 5:30pm.

My score would have been much better if I had the stamina.  I'm guessing I put
about 14 hours into the effort and was pleased by the results.  Most of the time
spent Sunday was very slow with a lot time spent with little to show for it.  I
set a goal of quitting when I had 500 real QSOs and got to 503.  I need another
op or more will power to stay planted in the chair.

Major interruptions - went for a bike ride for an hour and a half, at one point
my flailing away at the keyboard caused the function keys to operate as if I was
holding down the CTRL key, and a tree blew over, pulling my power line wire from
the pole to the house away from the house (we didn't lose electricity).

The power line ended up hanging about 5 feet above our street, Route 35.  It
blocked one lane and was hard to see.  My wife and I stopped traffic as best we
could so no one would strike the live cable. My call to 911 netted the fire
department.  They took a rope and hoisted the down line into a tree off the
road.  My call to CMP netted a guy who could not put the wire back on the house
because his ladder was too short so he tied the wire near the house up in
another tree and would tell his manager Monday.  It's off the ground for now.

WAE CW was both fun and exciting here,
John K1ESE