[3830] WAE CW K4HQK Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jwfuller@verizon.net
Subject: [3830] WAE CW K4HQK Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2019 02:49:52 +0000
                    WAE DX Contest, CW - 2019

Call: K4HQK
Operator(s): K4HQK
Station: K4HQK

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Alexandria, VA
Operating Time (hrs): 14

   80:   21    0     48
   40:   45    0     63
   20:  104    0     64
   15:    2    0      2
   10:    0    0      0
-------------------------
Total:  172    0    177  Total Score = 30,144

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

This contest was like running an obstacle course. QRN nearly wiped out 80 meters
and presumably 160m (I don't have an antenna for 160m), and the lazy old Sun
wiped out 15 and 10m. Actually there were a couple of brief 15m openings Sunday
that enabled QSOs with two stations in France. One asked for a quick QSY to 10m
and I complied--but heard nothing.

Propagation to EU Friday night was alright on 40 and 20m, but Saturday was only
useful for me on 20m, and not very well at that. I went out for the evening, and
on returning at 2300 EDT, picked up two more on 80m (very little activity and
horrible QRN) plus another five on 40m--then hit the sack.

Sunday had much stronger signals on 20m, but I had already worked most of them.
Activity on 20m grew during the afternoon, and by late afternoon some EU
stations began popping up weakly on 40m. By 1830 EDT they'd grown quite strong.
Alas, I then had to QRT for another evening engagement.

Overall impression was one of band conditions returning to normal health Sunday
after recovering from a sick Saturday.

Operated S&P throughout but never used QTCs. For those I need deep, deep
study and concentrated practice before a first attempt ;-)

Station: IC7410, Ameritron ALS-600 amp, Cushcraft R6000 vertical, and dipoles.

73,

John K4HQK