[3830] NAQP SSB NR4O Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, nr4o@att.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB NR4O Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2019 05:18:57 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, SSB - August

Call: NR4O
Operator(s): NR4O
Station: NR4O

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: NC - FM05
Operating Time (hrs): 10
Radios: SO2R

  160:    4     3
   80:  106    21
   40:  163    35
   20:   30    15
   15:    2     1
   10:    2     1
-------------------
Total:  307    76  Total Score = 23,332

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team: PVRC North Carolina East Team #1

Comments:

Boy it was a rough start to this one.  Conditions on 20M were really tough. The
band was noisy and I had some local RFI that would show up randomly and wipe out
the band.  Installed a new Flex 6600 this week replacing my FTdx3000.  The
receiver is quite nice and proved to be excellent on the crowed 40M and 80M
bands.  But, it didn't come without some hiccups.  I had to restart the SSDR SW
and N1MM a couple times because of network response time issues.  I started
operating using the Maestro.  That didn't really work out so well.  Seems like
the Maestro and N1MM had a hard time staying synced. I think the Maestro is
under powered to handle all the network traffic.  The N1MM spectrum display
seemed to get confused easily when changing bands. Once I shut the Maestro down
and just ran SSDR on my desktop everything stabilized for a couple hours.  But,
the Flex rebooted without warning for some unknown reason.  No problems after
the reboot.  Given I only had a couple days to learn the radio controls, there
were a few operator induced cockpit errors changing bands on the run radio when
I meant to tune the S&P radio.  I've got a lot to learn about how best to
utilize the new radio.  The second half of the contest went much better with a
couple of decent runs on 40 and 80 when the sun started going down.  I ran out
of gas around 11pm when the rate really dropped.  I did make a few 160M Q's with
 folks in VA, MD and PA.  Heard a few mid-westerners, but they couldn't hear me.

As usual, still a fun contest where I don't have to get sleep deprived.
73 and thanks for the Q's.

Eric - NR4O