[3830] NAQP SSB K3KU Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB K3KU Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2019 21:23:21 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, SSB - August

Call: K3KU
Operator(s): K3KU
Station: K3KU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 4:15

  160:   18     7
   80:   92    18
   40:   43    21
   20:    3     2
   15:    2     1
   10:    2     1
-------------------
Total:  160    50  Total Score = 8,000

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team: PVRC DC Metro Team #1

Comments:

Glad to hear all the reports of poor condx and tough QRN -- it's a relief to
know that the problem was not peculiar to K3KU.

My usual NAQP strategy, starting after nightfall Saturday: Quickly hit the high
bands to grab the easy mults before pounding the low bands for volume. Hah!
High bands was one 20M QSO with TX.  Only other high band QSOs were
"running the bands" with nearby PVRCer W3IUU and with one-block-away
K2PBS.  'PBS asks me almost every Saturday "What contest is tonight,"
and for NAQP phone I try to convince him to make some QSOs.  He had ONE contact
with me in previous years; now he's up to seven QSOs.  Good going, Jay!

Only runs were 63 QSOs on 80M and 16 QSOs on 40M.  Definitely lots of MD PVRC
there, especially on 80M, though I have not done any statistics.  I don't even
know how to set up to get spots, but their widespread use sure helps my score.

Tried moving two loud-on-80M WV to 160M.  Neither was QRV 160M.  Heard a new-ish
4-land call in many pileups, then found him CQing on 40M.  KY (!), first in the
contest.  His rate was slow enough -- and he was a good enough fellow -- to try
80M. With a little ESP and the lax NAQP rules and computer logging, KY is in the
log on 80M.

Only a handful of QSOs west of the Mississippi (other than maybe for MN).  Zero
for CA.  Only one West Coast QSO, and I chased him all over two bands before I
got him on 40M eleven minutes before the end.  Pileup on the Hawaiian station on
40M was amazing; I think people got sucked in, as he was worth only as much as
any other mult.  At one point I heard a loud station from France on 40M running
W/VE just for DX, so I called in and got his name. Hey, same points as another
MD.

Got called by a few I could not dig out.  One W5 was still trying on 80M as I
QRT at 0200Z (what Time Zone was HIS clock on?).  If he was anything but TX,
then I missed a mult. I don't use Call History Files or SCP (but have pretty
good wet ware for USA stations).  Those History Files sure would have helped --
just to save on typing, of course.  One Big gun runner dug out my call and began
his report "K3KU Art in Maryland..."  Clever. All I had to do was
grunt and he had me in the log.

Frantically hitting F1 in the last six minutes on 80M, I got called by (in
addition to that persistent W5) four stations, including two new mults.  A
redeeming few minute for a tough SSB (feh!) contest.