[3830] OhQP K1LT Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vkean@k1lt.com, mrrc@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] OhQP K1LT Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2019 17:32:43 +0000
                    Ohio QSO Party - 2019

Call: K1LT
Operator(s): K1LT
Station: K1LT

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Fairfield
Operating Time (hrs): 12
Radios: SO2R

   80:  268     0
   40:  127     0
   20:   79     0
   15:    4     0
   10:    2     0
--------------------
Total:  480     0  CW Mults = 124  Ph Mults = 0  Total Score = 119,040

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

I think the 2019 Ohio QSO Party is the first time I've touched a radio
since Field Day earlier this year.  But the switching power supply
worked fine because I tightened the loose setscrews.  The headphone
audio worked fine because I wound the stereo FM transmitter power cord
around a toroid.  I don't know why I didn't do that sooner.  The old
K3 still has the weird problem where the receiver goes away when the
radio is cold, but I remembered to turn it on well in advance of the
start.

I had the second radio on 3545 to practice listening for the mobiles.
I swapped dit-dits and CULs with several stations before the start.
At exactly noon it suddenly got quiet.  I seemed like an eternity
until someone started CQing even though the delay was probably only 30
seconds.  Next year I'll try CQing first.

My 40 meter vertical erratically produced high SWR.  Since it is
ground mounted, I ran outside a couple or 3 times to jiggle
connections and look for problems.  The coax connector has never been
water proofed.  On the other hand, it looks nearly perfect after 15
years.  On the other other hand, the shell of the connector was never
soldered to the braid.  I finally twisted it hard and that seems to
have cured the problem today.  Maybe its time to replace that feedline
as that piece of coax is quite ancient.

Last year I had decent success following the mobiles on 80 meters and
occasionally on 40 because propagation on 40 was poor.  This year
conditions on 40 were maybe even worse which perversely made tracking
the mobiles even easier.  Found K8O and K8RYU almost immediately.  I
somehow missed K8MR until he got to HARR.  After that, I think I
followed almost everyone everywhere, except W8UE who had a very weak
signal here.

What a wonderful collection of mobiles this year!  I hope they all had
fun and come back next year.  As a result of the excellent mobile
coverage, I worked 81 of the 88 counties, all on CW.  Assuming each of
the mobiles operated CW in each scheduled county, ROSS would be the
only county that didn't have CW activity.  There was one station on
the schedule, and I am betting he was phone only.

Last year I wished for one more ambitious mobile.  Looks like I got my
wish many times over, with W8UE scheduled for 13 counties, not to
mention N8KR and K8RR and AE8M scheduled for 4, 3, and 2 counties,
respectively.  Unfortunately I missed most of the counties W8UE
visited.  Hopefully W8UE's 3830 report will give me a clue about how
to work him more often next year.

  Mobile   Counties   Counties   QSOs   Counties
  Station  Scheduled  Worked            Missed
  K8MR     26         21         36     CARR, COLU, STAR, SUMM, TUSC

  K8O      29         24         24     DEFI, HURO, LICK, MERC, WYAN

  W8UE     13         2 !!!      2      CHAM, CLAR, CLER, CLIN, DARK,
                                        FAYE, GREE, HIGH, LOGA, MADI,
                                        WARR

  K8RYU    9          9          10     no counties missed

  N8KR     4          4          4      no counties missed

  K8RR     3          2          3      TRUM

  AE8M     2          4          5      no miss and bonus HAMI, WARR

                      total:     84     17% of total QSOs!

I didn't work very many of the mobiles on any bands except 80 although
I did work K8MR on the high bands in mine and adjacent counties HOCK,
FAIR, and PICK.  Given the strength of his signal, one more county
distance might work for 20 and 15.  The 10 meter HOCK signal was pure
ESP.  We tried one other band change but I screwed up and missed it.

More time chasing the mobiles meant less time working DX on 20 so my
state multiplier count is down.  I did work DL3DXX and OM2VL on 3
bands each.  Missed states DE, KY, ID, NV, AK, SD, and ND.  Missed
counties CLIN, COLU, FAYE, LOGA, MADI, ROSS, and WYAN.

Equipment: K3S, P3, Alpha 8410 loafing, 2nd K3, P3, and tribanders and
verticals.  I need to make more antennas available to the second
radio.  More relays!