[3830] AlQP W4AN/M Mobile Multi-OpCW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ku8e@ku8e.com
Subject: [3830] AlQP W4AN/M Mobile Multi-OpCW LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2019 16:09:00 +0000
                    Alabama QSO Party - 2019

Call: W4AN/M
Operator(s): K4BAI KU8E
Station: W4AN/M

Class: Mobile Multi-OpCW LP
QTH: AL
Operating Time (hrs): 12

  160:
   80:   72
   40:  304
   20:  241
   15:
   10:
--------------------
Total:  617     0  CW Mults = 54  Ph Mults = 0  Total Score = 66,636

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

We met up with both AB4B and W4NZ at the Huntsville Hamfest this year and both
mentioned they needed help activating counties in the Tennessee and Alabama QSO
Parties. So John (K4BAI) and I took two extra rover trips this year.

We ended up activating 24 Alabama counties. We had planned a few more counties
but we started getting intermittent high SWR during the last couple hours on
both of our mobile antennas and had to stop several times to troubleshoot that.
That put us behind and we were 1 1/2 hours away from home when the contest
ended.

The antenna setup is two magnet mounts (3 magnets on the antenna mount) on the
trunk of John's Toyota Avalon. I have a nice ground that goes to the bracket for
the muffler. We used Hustler 80 and 40 meter resonators and a 15 meter resonator
on 20 meters with the DX Engineering top hat. So we were able to QSY quickly
between two bands. The station is setup in the backseat of the car on and
operating table I built. We used a Kenwood TS-590SG with a Winkeyer. I ran an
audio cable from the radio to the audio input of the car radio so the driver
could listen when driving.

I think the antenna problem we had was cause by the wind load on the mobile mast
which caused it to partially unscrew from the bolt on the mobile mount. That
caused a bad connection. It was strange because when I stopped to look at it the
SWR went back to normal but when we got going again the problem returned. The
problem with the 2nd mount is probably because it's a MFJ that developed an
intermittent connection. Someday I will get all these problems we have had in
the past fixed. At least I solved the RF problem with the radio/computer that
has plagued us for years on 40 meters. Sometimes it's hard to tackle these
issues with the temporary setup we use.

John and I had fun despite our visit from Murphy. We had some unusually short
skip on 20 meters that helped our QSO totals on that band. We were also glad to
give John's old high school classmate W6OAT his last county in Alabama!

CU in the next one.

Jeff KU8E

RoverLocation      Tot  Accum
AUTA          14   14   14