[3830] CQWW SSB KN8U(@W2/SUMMIT) SO(A)AB Rookie HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kn8u@bruceyang.me
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB KN8U(@W2/SUMMIT) SO(A)AB Rookie HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2019 03:10:49 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2019

Call: KN8U
Operator(s): KN8U
Station: W2/SUMMIT

Class: SO(A)AB HP
Class Overlay: Rookie
QTH: NNY
Operating Time (hrs): 36:24
Remote Operation

  160:   35    11       19
   80:  129    16       65
   40:  120    21       71
   20:  196    25       93
   15:  227    22       73
   10:   16     8       11
------------------------------
Total:  723   103      332  Total Score = 863,040

Club: Georgia Contest Group

Comments:

I would like to extend my sincere thanks to Ray, W2RE and Lee, WW2DX for
allowing me to use the W2/Summit station on RemoteHamRadio for the weekend.
Compared to the W4AQL club station which I usually operate from, it was a blast!
Low noise levels on all bands, especially 160m and 80m, meant that I could hear
and work a lot more DX stations. Farthest QSO on 160 was with EU1WW. The stacks
on 20 and 15 also helped with putting a big signal into Europe.

Setting up took longer than expected, and the RHR web console didn't work with
my desktop computer for some reason so I had to hastily connect up my laptop,
which meant that I had to use WiFi instead of Ethernet. That brought in some
latency and packet loss issues which thankfully only slightly affected my
operating. Not having a K3 mini meant that I had limited access to rig controls.
I could only adjust filter width but not shift, for example. Had to rewire my
foot switch too (with help from a breadboard). Thankfully the sloppy connections
lasted the 48 hours. I hope I can figure out how to make my desktop computer
work, and get a K3 Mini before I use RHR the next time.

Conditions were not good by any means, and I spent most of my time
cherry-picking multipliers. Had to repeat my call many times due to a
combination of not being in SCP, dropped packets, and QRM. With 20m and 40m
filled with wall-to-wall QRM I actually found my best runs on 15m during the
morning EU openings, hence the highest QSO count on 15m. 20m Asia opening was
poor on the first day with only a few JAs, but was better on Sunday. Still
didn't manage to work my friends at BI4SSB though :( Maybe next month.

Another thing I enjoyed about operating remote from home is that I didn't have
to debate between going home to nap or crashing on the couch at the W4AQL shack.
My fridge at home is also much better stocked than W4AQL's. A well rested and
well fed operator is an efficient operator!

Overall, a very pleasant experience despite the conditions. Thanks for all the
QSOs, and CU in SS CW/SSB (W4AQL) and CQWW CW (station TBD)!

73,

Bruce KN8U/BH4EPL/VE3FBM

W2/Summit station description: (http://www.remotehamradio.com/premiumdx/)

Elecraft K3 with Expert 1.3KFA Amplifier

10m – GXP 16-3
15m – 5/5/5 Stacks
20m – 6/6 Stacks @ 122/77'
40m – 3 ele 40M yagi @ 110'