[3830] CQWW SSB N4CW SO(A)AB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB N4CW SO(A)AB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2019 13:40:40 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2019

Call: N4CW
Operator(s): N4CW
Station: N4CW

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: 05 - NC, USA
Operating Time (hrs): 11:29

  160:
   80:   50    12       40
   40:   81    18       54
   20:  153    22       80
   15:   94     5        6
   10:    9     5        6
------------------------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Made the best of a bad situation and came out smiling! My best antenna (X9 at
100 feet) was stuck pointed SW (the 40M rotary dipole, oriented along the boom
of the X9, was NW/SE). My backup, an LP at 34 feet, didn't work...HIGH SWR. I
decided to work on the LP because it was easier to work on (mounted on an AB-577
"rocket launcher"). It turned out that the coax braid had shorted to
the exposed center conductor at the feed point---my fault because I had
installed it "temporarily" 10 years ago. I installed new RG-213,
checked it out, and got it back up to 34 feet.
It really took some maneuvering to get the antenna down to the ground to work
on...I'm not as strong as I used to be!!!
Anyway, I operated part-time, balancing my time between family, hobby, and
church on Sunday. Speaking of Sunday, I did get to operate for 3/4 of an hour
prior to going to church and on 20 and 15 had GREAT rates S&P'ing...like
shooting fish in a barrell! That was very exhilerating. Almost every contact was
a new mult!
Sunday afternoon wasn't as productive and signals had lots of "fade",
but I still managed to work a few new mults. Hats off to the DX-peditions...I
couldn't believe hearing VP6R calling CQ and not generating pileups on Sunday
afternoon! I think they had already worked everybody!!!
Not my favorite mode, but always fun! Thanks CQ and the contest organizers!