[3830] CQWW SSB W1WEF SOAB Classic HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w1wef@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB W1WEF SOAB Classic HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2019 13:47:31 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2019

Call: W1WEF
Operator(s): W1WEF
Station: W1WEF

Class: SOAB HP
Class Overlay: Classic
QTH: CT
Operating Time (hrs): <21

  160:   16     5        8
   80:   72    12       42
   40:   95    20       55
   20:  232    21       80
   15:  205    20       63
   10:   30     8       14
------------------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

I had zero enthusiasm for the phone weekend until I  looked at the NG3K
expedition list. Anticipation of all the great expeditions was exciting. After
the start with the terrible conditions I set my Friday night goal at ten Qs!
V47T couldn't hear me! I quit for the night after a whopping 27 hour. Not good.
Up at 4AM Sat I worked Jeff at VY2ZM and he already had 69 countries on 160 and
a bunch of zones. Back to bed.

After getting on again when the bands normally start to wake up I started to
have one problem after another with my radio. I wound up doing two partial
resets and two full resets before figuring out I was having RFI problems with my
wireless keyboard which was always trouble free on CW. I guess I had never had
done a phone contest before with the 7610. I have high SWRs in the phone bands
and although the tube amp is tolerant I think it results in more RF in the shack
and thus the problems. When I finally found an old keyboard with a cable and
ferrites already on it, all those problems went away.

I must admit I don't enjoy SSB in crowded band conditions. It's nothing like
when I operated from PJ2 and took No 2 or 3 world on phone with a TA33 in the
80's.   JACK W1WEF