[3830] CQWW SSB W1DYJ SO(A)AB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, larryb@alum.mit.edu
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB W1DYJ SO(A)AB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2019 17:27:24 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2019

Call: W1DYJ
Operator(s): W1DYJ
Station: W1DYJ

Class: SO(A)AB LP
QTH: Maine
Operating Time (hrs): 11

  160:    7     3        3
   80:   25     8       17
   40:   25     7       21
   20:   34    12       30
   15:   50    10       34
   10:    1     1        1
------------------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Report from a Little-Pistol...

Does entering the CQ WW SSB at the nadir of the current sunspot
cycle, with sub-par antennas and low power, represent a challenge
or just simple masochism.  I have not figured that out yet!
Naturally, this was all S&P.

With the lowest RAW score I have had in the last nine years, this
year was not a beacon of accomplishment.  My goal, as usual at 25%
over last year's score, was 120K; My score, at 44% of that, is
disappointing at best.

Friday night started out poorly: only 10 Qs in two hours.  No one
was hearing me.  Saturday wasn't much better, my motivation was
lagging, and my BIC time limited.  I also noted a lot of white
noise near various frequencies -- is this why the ARRL needs to
add white noise (along with phase noise) to their transmitter
tests?

Sunday morning 15 suddenly was alive.  With an antenna that spews
RF at too high an angle and "poorly in all directions", it still
was fun for a bit as just about every station heard was new.(I
seemed to be following K1KP and W1CTN up the band.)

It's not surprising that 15 was better than 20, given my antennas.
I look forward to having a decent tribander in the future.
(To quote EW: "I have a plan for that.")
RIG: TS590S
ANTENNAS:
         160, 80, 20, 10 - fan dipole at 30'
                >> 4 wires: 160-trap-80 / 30 / 20 / 10
         40, 15 >> 1/4 lambda vertical, 4 elevated radials at 10'
Logger: N3FJP's CQ WW DX v5.7

73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ