[3830] CQWW SSB PJ2T M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ghoward@kent.edu
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB PJ2T M/M HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2019 22:45:28 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2019

Call: PJ2T
Operator(s): W8WTS K8PGJ KF4DX W0CG K8IV ND8L CE3CT VE4GV
Station: PJ2T

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Curacao
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:   418    19       46
   80:   934    23       83
   40:  2611    28      115
   20:  3218    28      115
   15:  2678    27      120
   10:   503    18       50
-------------------------------

Club: CCC

Comments:

We're back. With this contest we begin our 20th year of continuous operation,
having missed only one major competition (medical problem) in all those years.
It's a little more daunting every year when we show up in October after a long
period of mothballing, dig things out, fix all of the problems, and get back on
the air in a big way. But we made it again with a very strong team this year.

Sincere congratulations to our neighbors PJ4K for a super effort. Walt's place
dominated contesting in this hemisphere for a very long time, and then went
silent. Now, years later, he and his friends are back with a superb site and big
everything. They did a great job this weekend.

We had a delightful time this week welcoming several first-time visitors to
PJ2T. Ed, K8IV, is practically my next door neighbor at W0CG in Ohio, and works
at DX Engineering. He is a new member of CCC and will be putting the place on in
RTTY contests in the future. His friend Ray, ND8L, who has also decided to
become a CCC member, will be joining him for RTTY. We were also privileged to
welcome Ricardo, CE3CT, for his first visit to PJ2T. He is the king of the
Chilean superstations and enjoyed the rates and signals here so much closer to
the population centers. Rob, VE4GV, braved the heat and humidity here on the
island and was a great asset to our team and a delight to get to know. We
profoundly thank these four gentlemen for taking a chance on PJ2T and venturing
to Curacao for the first time.

Conditions were not so good in North America, but we were reminded of why we fly
south because we had what seemed to us like excellent conditions most times and
bands and had a heck of a lot of fun on the air. Murphy hit us badly just before
the start of the contest with severe interstation interference, an inoperable
160 meter station, and a non-rotating multiplier tribander. All had been rock
solid perfect this week and through most of Friday, but when we tuned up prior
to the contest we got nailed. W8WTS and I did some emergency troubleshooting and
workarounds, gaining some measurable improvement, but the problems persisted all
weekend. It was not possible to troubleshoot in depth during the contest, so we
toughed it out and I appreciate the adaptability of this team. I'll get
everything fixed later this week when it's quiet around here.

A big thank you to our member Pete, K8PGJ, for handling the log setup, running
around like a madman making trips to the airport and grocery stores, and
generally doing everything that needed to be done quickly, always with a big
smile. Thanks also to Pete for a big cash donation for decent up-to-date
operating chairs for the shack. The old ones aged out badly. Prior to the
contest Pete led a meeting to modify the shift schedule to accommodate the
unexpectedly good conditions, and then worked tirelessly all weekend. He seems
to need almost no rest or sleep.

A big thanks also to our member Egon, KF4DX, who moved from station to station
quietly and efficiently, adapting to the differing situations on various bands
and churning out great rates with little fuss and bother, also seeming to be
able to work all weekend without getting tired.

And thanks to our long time member Jim, W8WTS, who rescued us after we had a
late cancellation by another team member. This was the 6th weekend in a row he
had been away from home, and we're grateful for his energy and for his XYL's
patience with his travel for this contest, Jim did all hours of 160 both nights.
This was his first SSB contest at PJ2T in these many years, and he taught the
team by example by example that shouting into microphones is unnecessary folly.
These radios have speech amplifiers, for heck's sake!

CCC and the PJ2T gang are very proud to be back up on the air again. We've had
some monumental challenges here involving major construction nearby, a giant
windstorm, an attempted break-in at the QTH, and a host of other troubles we
won't bore you with, but we made it through and posted a respectable score.

Thanks to CCC's members for their ongoing support, and we'll see you in the CW
weekend. Sometime in that contest we will make the contact that will become the
millionth PJ2T entry in Logbook of the World.

It was a fun weekend, great to get the worldwide gang of contesters together
again on the air, and to say a quick hello to old and new friends around the
globe. What a privilege it is to be part of this sport.

     73 from Geoff, W0CG, PJ2DX, for the entire PJ2T family