[3830] CQWW SSB K2DM M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k2dm@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB K2DM M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2019 03:45:58 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2019

Call: K2DM
Operator(s): K2DM K4ZDM N0SMX AL7BA K3ZGA KN4ULF NP2B W2TR K1CTR KD8WYJ
Station: K2DM

Class: M/S HP
QTH: NFL
Operating Time (hrs): 40

  160:   18     6       11
   80:   97    15       57
   40:  147    24       70
   20:  382    26       86
   15:  201    23       76
   10:   40     7       12
------------------------------
Total:  885   101      312  Total Score = 960,225

Club: The Villages Amateur Radio Club

Comments:

This was our first contest at The Land.  We live in The Villages, which is a
deed restricted community that does not allow outdoor antennas.  So my wife,
Karen (K4ZDM), and I purchased a trailer on 2.4 acres just outside The Villages.
 Actually, it is nearly surrounded by The Villages.  With the help of a number
of friends - some hams, some not – we spent two months refurbishing the
trailer.  Then two good friends (Dennis, N0SMX and Jim, AL7BA) helped us build
two towers and install antennas.  A 60-foot tower was first up with an older
Bencher Skyhawk tribander and wires for 80M and 160M.  Then, just a couple of
days before the contest, we finished installing a Cushcraft XM240 on a 40-foot
tower.  We were ready to go!
This contest was a celebration for us.  While Dennis, Jim and I have done some
serious contesting (as has John, NP2B), we were not concerned with score this
weekend.  We invited a number of our Villages ham friends to come by and spend
some time making contacts or just visiting.  Aside from Karen, Dennis, Jim and
I, eight people came by during the contest.   At one point on Saturday we had
around eight folks at the station.  A total of ten of us made contacts during
the contest.  Individual contact totals ranged from one to 335.  There was a lot
of mentoring done.
The station performed flawlessly.  We were a multi-single entry with only a RUN
station, no MULT station.  The rig was a K3 driving an Expert 1KFA amplifier.
Most of our contacts were made by searching and pouncing, with liberal use of
the N1MM+ band map.  I probably tried to CQ more than any of the other ops, but
I was generally unsuccessful.  I am looking forward to operating from VP2M in
November.
Karen and I hope our friends utilize the station a lot in the future.  It sure
has been a lot of fun so far.