[3830] CQWW SSB IH9P(OL5Y) SOSB15 Classic HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, OL5Y@mastrant.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB IH9P(OL5Y) SOSB15 Classic HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2019 11:01:27 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2019

Call: IH9P
Operator(s): OL5Y
Station: IH9P

Class: SOSB15 HP
Class Overlay: Classic
QTH: BKO
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15: 2644    32      135
   10:
------------------------------

Club: Czech Contest Club

Comments:

What a birthday party it was! For the context: Six months ago I did not expected
to go to Pantelleria in close future. But... In April I was celebrating my 50
and opened a gift from my awesome wife – and inside was "voucher"
for family vacation on loved island! Moreover, together with part of
"old" Pantelleria family team (my father and son). So we were together
6 - with my wife Jana OK3FLY and my 2 small daughters (3 and 6). And my 31st
trip to IH9 began!
Because I did not want to spend whole vacation by building antennas and moving
whole SO2R setup, I decided for SB category. I wanted to enjoy the pileups and
avoid torture on 40m (my favored band from IH9 but for CW only) so I have
decided for 15m. Following my goal to make the best for the result I have
prepared 3 antennas what I can easily erect with 3 people. It was 2x 4 el Yagi
and 3 el tribander ECO, all 12 m high. The preparation was not so easy because
of high winds (peaks about 85 km/h – 53 mph) but on Thursday evening I was
already ready - including about half a day for sightseeing we spent every day.
The Saturday was not so good – the band started to open more than 1 hour after
sunrise. I made just 29 JAs and missed several mults from the AS and OC – they
did not heard me nor called me. Fortunately the EU helped to keep the rate. In
the afternoon the US stations were quite weak and I was really frustrated I made
just about 100 of them – most zone 5, just few zone 4, no zone 3. But it was
enjoyable to be called by K3LR, W3LPL and other big guns, hi. The band closed
about 3 hours before the closing on Thursday! Sunday morning looked promising
but I did not made ANY JA or other far east (VK, ZL, OC islands...). But even
more Europeans were in the log and the US started to come afternoon. In the end
I logged 388 from zone 5, 172 from 4 and just 4 from 3. It was interesting that
the last US station from US was N6BT from 3, hi. The most "active"
calls in my log were from Germany (341), UK (200) and Italy (168).
It was really fantastic contest and I did not experienced any serious problem. I
missed double-mults like VK, ZL, other OC and also some Caribbean mults beaming
and working just US. But it is part of the game.
On Monday we were dismounting all antennas in rain and today we left the
Pantelleria by ferry.
Thanks to all for calling and answering! I want especially thanks to my wife for
this perfect birthday gift and generally for support in my crazy hobby. Also
thanks to others who helped me with preparation: all other family members, Joe
IT9BLB, Vlada OK1CW, Petr OK1CZ, Venca OK6RA, Igor UA2FZ (Antenna Depot).
RIG: SunSDR MB1 (I really love it on SSB), Acom 2000A, microHAM StackMax.
ANT: 4el OWA home made, 4el 15M4-OWA by Antenna Depot, 3el tribander ECO (25
years old) - all at 12 m, 40 ft.