[3830] CQWW SSB AB1J SO(A)SB15 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ktfrog007@aol.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB AB1J SO(A)SB15 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2019 21:39:45 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2019

Call: AB1J
Operator(s): AB1J
Station: AB1J

Class: SO(A)SB15 LP
QTH: Waltham, EMA
Operating Time (hrs): 12:30

  160:
   80:    8
   40:   19
   20:   12
   15:  115    15       58
   10:    1
------------------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

I always tell my wife I want to do this contest because it's the biggest and
baddest of all and I just want to be there. That's easier than telling her I
have a death wish. I'd probably have just as much fun watching the online
scoreboards, especially if they graphed the leaders together so I could just
watch their relative progress. Like a horse race.

It's difficult for me to get much traction in a phone contest, so I decided if I
couldn't work many stations I'd at least do a lot of spotting and maybe that
would make me popular in the contest yearbook, even if I wasn't voted most
likely to succeed.

Near the end of the contest I got a thank you email from N1RR for the spots and
he mentioned he was closing in on 1100 15m QSOs. I was closing in on 110 on 15m,
so we had some sort of kinship, separated by an order of magnitude.

What started out as all-band casual-fit ended up as a 15m single band because
conditions there were pretty good.  I've been operating 15m every day lately on
FT8 with good results and they carried over into the contest. Sunday morning was
particularly spectacular. Here are The Sunday morning solar stats. They don't
look great, but looks aren't everything.

SSN=0
eSSN=-13
SFI=69
Kp=2

Kp was 5 on Saturday at one point.

A high point for me was working my old high school buddy, W9JOE, operating from
KP4US.

I also worked the Texas Institute of Technology satellite campus in Costa Rica.

For the first time I loaded up my outdoor wire on 15m.  As on 80m, the feed
point is low impedance and I work it against the indoor counterpoise. It worked
OK, sometimes better than the attic dipole. I get the same sort of results on
20m. Neither works very well, but it makes me feel sophisticated to have a
choice of antennas for different situations. Small choices, to be sure, and
simple, nothing like the 38 kinds of Cheerios you'll find in the grocery store.

Thanks for the QSOs. See U in the sea-dubya

73,
Ken, AB1J

Flex 6500
N1MM Logger+
20m, 15m & 10m attic dipoles
Outdoor 66' terrain following stealth wire for 80, 40, 20 and 15m, Dentron
manual tuner and indoor baseboard following counterpoise
LoTW  eQSL  ClubLog