[3830] SS CW N9SE Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, dxcc1@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] SS CW N9SE Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2019 14:33:36 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW - 2019

Call: N9SE
Operator(s): N9SE
Station: N9SE

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: IN
Operating Time (hrs): 19
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    0
   80:  148
   40:  226
   20:  122
   15:   10
   10:    0
------------

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Conditions were not too bad on 20m and 15m, for the bottom of the sunspot cycle.
40m and 80m were suprisingly quiet here. QRP seemed more difficult this time. I
ran SO2R, which in this case meant letting one radio call CQ with very few
answers (like up to 10 minutes between QSOs), while struggling with S&P on
the other radio. I use the term struggle because I had to fight being impatient.
The long exchange meant waiting for what seemed like an ernity after each time
the running station responded to another caller. The rates were miserable. my
highest hour was 41(!). Next year, I think QRO is in order, even though I can't
really compete against the top dogs.

Usually I find that SO2R is really useful for QRP due to the low run rates, but
in this contest the exchange is so long that it is a miracle when you don't lose
your run frequency (unless you pick a less desirable spot on the very edges of
the band/activity).

Having said all of that, it was still fun. This is one of my favorites. First of
all, it's a domestic contest, which is better suited for smaller stations like
mine. Also, the long exchange, while troublesome from a contest perspective, is
enjoyable for me as a traffic handler.

Another fun aspect this year for me was the online contest scoreboard. What they
say is correct --it's a lot of fun and it really does keep your butt in the
chair longer.