[3830] SS CW K6LL SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW K6LL SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2019 16:25:45 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW - 2019

Call: K6LL
Operator(s): K6LL
Station: K6LL

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: AZ
Operating Time (hrs): 24
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:  126
   40:  368
   20:  666
   15:   19
   10:
------------

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

This was the first time I had ever signed up for real time score reporting, and
it turned out to be pretty interesting.  My original intent was to keep an eye
on my neighbor W6RW, who was trying out his nifty new antenna system for the
first time, but I quickly found that another close horse race was developing
between myself and Marko, N5ZO.  The Southwest Division plaque for Unlimited
Category is at stake here.  I had a great start, and jumped out to a 30 QSO
lead, which held right up until Sunday morning.  Marko was gradually gaining on
me during the day, and we were tied on Sunday afternoon.  I was pressing every
button on the computer, furiously working the SO2R, trying to stay ahead, but
Marko kept coming closer. I was surprised that he took a break on Sunday
afternoon, and I rapidly gained a 40 QSO lead during that time, but I ran out of
operating time with 90 minutes to go in the contest, and Marko ate up my lead
right at the very end, ending up 3 QSO's ahead.  Last year, I gained 2 QSO's in
the log-checking, so it's going to be very close this year!

My 80 Meter noise problem keeps getting worse, so my operation there was almost
all S&P, because it was embarrassing to have so many impossible-to-copy
callers answering my CQ's.

For the second contest in a row, my Tailtwister rotor stopped working.  It
seemed to fix itself after a period of time, so I wasn't sure what was going on
there. I purchased a standby rotor, but never installed it.  Doing some research
last night, I found that there is a thermal overload device in the control box
that opens the brake and motor circuits when it trips off.  It takes 10 minutes
to recycle, so that's probably the culprit.  I can see the solution now - a big
honking blower on the rotor control box!

It's always nice to work the regulars in SS CW.  Special thanks to those who got
on in the rare sections! VY1AAA was everywhere.  That station will sure be
missed.

Antennas were the usual Tribander, Shorty 40, and half sloper on a 48' tower.
That stuff has been there, essentially unchanged, for 44 years now.

.