[3830] CWopsT W4ER QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, John.w4er@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CWopsT W4ER QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2019 06:30:13 +0000
                    CWops Mini-CWT Test - 1900Z Nov 6

Call: W4ER
Operator(s): W4ER
Station: W4ER

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: MS
Operating Time (hrs): 0.5

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:  16
   15:
   10:
------------
Total:  16  Mults = 16  Total Score = 256

Club: Alabama Contest Group

Comments:

On one of my final business trips so I decided to carry my KX2 with me. I am
nearing my retirement from consulting and only have one more trip after this
one. Hope to operate on that one as well from Fort Smith, AR in a couple weeks.
Didn’t realize how much I missed operating portable!  No noise!!!  Lots of
strong signals. Used my KX2 @ 5 watts to my BuddiStick mounted on the bed of my
pickup.

Stopped on my way to Jennings, LA at a rest area in MS on I-10 at the Pascagoula
River. Operated for a bit and then the security guard drove by and gave me an
odd look. I invited him over and explained who I was and what I was doing and
showed him my hand log. As I was telling him the states each station was located
in (yes, I remember a lot of the regulars even though we don’t send QTHs), I
came to my last QSO which was with Frank K1EBY in CT and the guard said “I
grew up in CT”. Had a nice chat with him.

Before hitting the road on to LA, I noted a historical marker about the area.
The area is known as Graveline named after the first settler in 1718, Jean
Baptisite Baudreau dit Graveline. Yes, “dit”. How interesting given that I
had been ditting and dahing for a bit. Dit (pronounced “dee”) is
French-Canadian and in English means “called” or loosely “that is to
say”.

Another interesting factoid is that Jean Baptiste Baudreau dit Graveline also
was one of the founders of Old Mobile (AL); my home QTH!