[3830] CQWW CW VE9AA SOAB Classic HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VE9AA SOAB Classic HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2019 21:17:54 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2019

Call: VE9AA
Operator(s): VE9AA
Station: VE9AA

Class: SOAB HP
Class Overlay: Classic
QTH: NB
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:  206    12       31
   80:  546    15       60
   40:  597    23       74
   20:  876    24       85
   15:  153    20       60
   10:   11     8        9
------------------------------

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

Well, I was less than motivated for various reasons but decided that if I could
get over 1M pts w/o too much strain, I'd stick it out for a full on 'Classic',
24 hr 'Boy and his Radio' category--which is what I did.

I've been spoiled the past cpl yrs doing SO2R and a lot of QSO parties and EU
contests with the cluster connected, so it really felt like I was flying blind
with one arm tied behind my back. Decisions, decisions....Do I leave a perfectly
good run frequency to check to see if 15m is stone cold dead?  Yup, it happened.
 A few times.

Oh well, that's the game.  I don't know if I missed any 10m openings, but did
snag some rare Africa dx on 10m, but not much else was happnin'.

Memorable moments.
One stn (I think on 15m ) was pretty good copy and was ending is QSO's with
something like 'GL 73 TEST' (instead of TU and his call)
So after listening to this for 3 overs, I sent "CL?"......and I could
hear a bunch of others asking the same.  Of course, he kept replying 'CL?'...it
was so sad, it was funny.  I kept moving the VFO.

Other moments were finally making it through to VK9CZ on 40m after sunup.
 That was cool.
A short time later, they called *ME* on 20m via the LP....blew my mind !

There was one stn who was quite loud and kept calling me like this:(I made up
this call to protect the guilty)
G0ZZE0ZZE (and he ran it all together) It must have taken me 5 tries to figure
it out.  My guess is a poorly constructed macro.

Which makes me ask....if you have a cool 3 (or even 4) letter callsign, why are
you sending it to me twice?

I checked 15m one last time before hitting 40m to run (it was nearly dead up
here all w/e and I milked it for all I was worth) and on a pretty flat band, I
call CQ right on 21.001 and instantly comes XE1CQ for a dbl mult.  Happy happy
!

15 or 20min before my 24hrs was up , I was working EU on 40m and KL7RA calls in
for another dbl mult.  Full daylight there, but close-ish to the terminator.  I
could copy them quite well when I got the antenna around.  Thanks fellas !

Sat, some Midwest and west coast had weird time delay echos on them on 20m late
in the day.  Made copy hard.

Lots of good ops....and a very few not so (hee hee) so overall it was a lot of
fun, even though there are no awards up here for this category, I play in it
anyways.

73 es CU (all of a sudden) in the next one.

dit dit
Mike VE9AA one IC7410 and an assortment of wiggly wires, thus;.
10m - used my 160m inv L
15m- 5el VDA
20m- 4SQ
40m - 4SQ
80m - 4SQ
160m - Bent and twisted, low inverted L (more like an inverted U)