[3830] CQWW CW WW4XX(LZ4AX) SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW WW4XX(LZ4AX) SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2019 07:01:22 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2019

Call: WW4XX
Operator(s): LZ4AX
Station: WW4XX

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Atlanta, GA
Operating Time (hrs): 41.5
Radios: SO2R

  160:   53    12       27
   80:  159    21       71
   40:  232    25       87
   20:  444    28      106
   15:  114    19       54
   10:
------------------------------

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

First ever CQWWCW from home after 36 years in contesting!
We had to be somewhere else with KM4DAY for this one but that trip got cancelled
for reasons beyond our control. At home we don't have much of antennas YET. The
tower still lives in the garage and we only have 2 dipoles. One long and one
short. The long one sometimes becomes a vertical on 160 and 80 and the short one
covers 20 through 10. To observe the tradition of heavy antenna work just before
CQWW, on Friday I got three 500ft rolls of THHN and spent the afternoon covering
the backyard with wire. Had I known the low-bands conditions would be so good, I
could have at least saved myself crawling under the deck.

Anyhow, the conditions were just amazing. Never thought I could make 1M with 2
wires and a 100W from home. Heard 39 zones on 20 (did not hear 34 anywhere). All
but ~20 QSO were S&P. Tried CQing several times but that didn't work well
and the 2nd radio didn't get much use. Gave up on 10. Had to wait there until
everyone who has either an amp or a beam gets through. While waiting figured out
that at such a low QSO/mult ratio I'm better off making QSOs.

WW4XX causes "deer in headlights" effect. Don't know why. Usually
after some silence it comes back as either WW1XX or W1XX. Tried inserting pauses
here and there but that didn't seem to work well.

Thanks for the QSOs and the patience while sorting out my callsign. Special
thanks to those who travelled to remote and not so remote locations. Remember:
every time you give a mult to someone you put a smile on their face.

Stay unplugged and keep smiling!

73, Alex LZ4AX