[3830] CQWW CW ON3DI SO(A)SB40 QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW ON3DI SO(A)SB40 QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2019 21:51:39 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2019

Call: ON3DI
Operator(s): ON3DI
Station: ON3DI

Class: SO(A)SB40 QRP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 36:11

  160:
   80:
   40:  583    19       91
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

Hi

CQ WW RTTY will have a second place, CQ WW SSB let I go, was to tired to do the
orignal plan of 80m QRP. Weeks before this contest I analysed previous years and
the qrv times of 40m stations. I had luck that I could look at OQ5M his log, it
helped.

Anyway the plan was to do 40m QRP, won on this band the WPX CW, wanted to know
if this would be possible also in this contest. The days before the contest I
checked my installation, N1MM (always to work him in a contest, tnx for the free
program!!) worked perfectly. But... after 10min in the contest, N1MM transmitted
again my call wrong or the number. Had this problem in the past. I had to
reinstall the interface program, but there was also a windows update, lost 20min
or so. Then you are thinking 'will it be that one...'
After that struggle the contest could really start. The first hours I could only
work DX. DL, I, LY, ..., couldn't copy them. First ten QSO's: KP2M,W4NF, PJ2t,
V47T,RM9A, P40W, W2UP, 5N7Q,K4AB, K1BX! What a start! Continued to work DX with
HI3CC,VE, JT5DX. Even special countries like YN2,9G5. Oh I had fun. Europe came
alive and around 8h local time, the man with the hammer came, but I wanted to be
qrv till 11-12utc. And it was good,the rates improved to a max of 38qso's/hour.
That isn't much, but I'm QRP you know... And I did the whole time S&P,
always the band up and down. I went to bed for some hours but wanted to be QRV
again around 15utc, wanted to check the far east. It is incredible what I heard,
crazy! JA, BA, Brunei,9M2, E2A, 7A2A, VK9, ZM, VK. VK3MI was calling CQ and I
thought why not, nobody else was calling him and then I had a chance. After a
struggle I was in the log! 5w and a vertical, what a qso!!! I was extremely
happy, but that wasn't THE contestqso... Tried to work other countries, but BD
went until ON3 and JH4UYB stopped at ON3D, that is frustrating. I heard T6A
calling and worked him, kick!! The same was a half hour later with C56. For the
rest no special qso's, but could I ask more. Around midnight I slept for some
hours and I hoped that the band would open again to the states but it didn't.
Anyway happy that they were in the log the day before. Was a struggle to work
TI7W, lost really some time, but yeah if you are one of the 11k qso's...
When I thought the band wasn't in the same shape of saturday, THE contestqso
happened! Heard ZM4T calling CQ, just like VK3MI, no one calling, after some
time ON3DI was in the log, 18k km, again just 5w...
I stayed awake until noon and sundaymorning was the first time I called CQ,
happy to work at 10utc K1KI. Sundayevening was slow, rates dropped dramaticly,
tried to work some multipliers. I checked the score of the winner of last year
and I needed 86k qso's, I knew it would be close. Anyway I wasn't tired, I had
some stress, goals keep me alive during a contest. Happy to work 4L8A, and 6W7
and C6 in the last hour.

1. Forget SSB, RTTY and definitly FT8, CW is THE mode. This was the mother of
all contests and I must say that I had so much fun. It isn't comparable with a
CQ WW RTTY, you could work so much more interesting stations in cw.
2. Never worked so many zones in one contest, even not low power (says something
about my previous contests but also about the conditions).
3. 583 is a personal best as SB qrp operation, was a goal in the contest, but I
beated my previous record by 6 qso's (577 qrp 80m 2 years ago).
4. Maybe strange to understand but it could be better, missed JA, BD, ZD, CE,
LU, 5H, VK9, E2, HZ and even LX.
5. Top DXCC; K 53, DL 44, SP 34, UR 32 I 31. Says something that K is on top!
105 qso's were DX.
6. Said it before but I'm not ON3ND, heard it more then once. But was funny when
we both called the station on the same time!
7. It is years ago that I worked 4 new DXCC's during a contest; Nigeria, Gambia,
Ghana and Afghanistan.
8. My average was a realistic 16 qso's/hour. Real QRP is having patience and
enjoying the highlights!

Thanks all for a great contest!

I know already that I will not win this one, am beaten hard but can live with
it. I knew that I did everything I could.

CU next contest!

Pieter ON3DI