[3830] ARRL 160 W2GD M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 W2GD M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2019 12:28:13 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest - 2019

Call: W2GD
Operator(s): K2SG K2TW KE2D KZ2I KS3F N2HM N2OO NY3B W2GD W2NO
Station: W2GD

Class: M/S HP
QTH: FM29 - SNJ
Operating Time (hrs): 32

Total:  QSOs = 1674  Sections = 82  Countries = 62  Total Score = 640,800

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Elecraft K3 x 3
OM2000HF  1250 watts
Win-Test Logging Software
2 element vertical Yagi @ 240' with NE, West and Omni direction options
Beverage antennas NE, E, S, SW, W, NW, plus HI-Z Four Vertical System

This ARRL 160 seemed like a replay of last year - conditions were very similar
at this location.

We use ARRL 160 weekend to iron out whatever station configuration problems
might be lurking when you pass through the gate at the end of "Murphy
Drive".  Our aim is to have everything completely functioning 100 percent
for the CQ160 CW and PH a few months from now.

Two work parties preceded the contest - the first before CQWW CW to re-install
the  TX array on the 300 foot tower taken down for hurricane season and to
complete cabling the seven RX antennas.  Having an extra week between CQWW CW
and ARRL 160 was a rare luxury this year.  We used it for a second trip to the
swamp to inspect/repair/replace a very large number of our Beverage elements.
There was tree damage to virtually every wire.

Fortunately the weather nicely cooperated this year - sunny clear skies but a
touch on the cold side both nights.  Fortunately very little wind to play havoc
with the power lines.

The team experienced their second best first hour of any 160 meter contest in
the last 35+ years. During that exciting first sixty minutes, we logged 234
contacts which contained 50 five pointers from EU and the Carib. The band was
quiet which greatly simplified things.  All of the station work done to enable
in-band operation made this super fun.

The first night we had a continuous flow of EU callers riding waves of QSB, and
enjoyed the enhancement as sunrise approached over EU.  We logged 246 five
pointers (up from 230 in 2018) night one and added another 137 during night two.
 We believe 383 five pointers is our all time best during this event and up 15%
year to year.

Operator participation seemed pretty good - looking at the band map there were
hardly any gaps from 1800 to 1970 both nights and god help you if you left your
CQ frequency for any length of time.  Conditions were not great overall (the two
days just before the contest had been exceptional to EU) but at least things
seemed average.  The opening to the western US was never very good the first
evening, but somewhat better during night two.

Working VE5SF for our final multiplier at sunrise was so 'sweet'.

We overcame the setup process and posted our score on the real-time scoreboard -
and hope others will too.

We all enjoyed the camaraderie of a large team gathering.  So many stories ...

And as always we thank the owners of WYRS-FM for making this fabulous
site available to us and to the members of the SJDXA for their ongoing
assistance.

On to the Stew Perry TBDC in a few weeks.  Merry Christmas to all.

73,

John, W2GD
For the 160 TEAM