[3830] ARRL 160 N3BB Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 N3BB Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2019 17:14:46 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest - 2019

Call: N3BB
Operator(s): N3BB
Station: N3BB

Class: Single Op HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 8:02

Total:  QSOs = 703  Sections = 80  Countries = 21  Total Score = 151,399

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

One of my favorite contests, although I never really "sit it out" in
the chair for that long. Other things, like college football and such, plus
being the caregiver for my XYL limit the BIC number.

The band was really quiet, even without my SAL-30 receive antenna ... but I used
it all the time as it allows me to "rotate" it to needed directions.
W/O it, I'd miss a lot of callers and exchanges. Of course in this one, there
still are signals that just can't be copied .. no matter how hard I tried.

The evening openings to EU seemed down to me. Signals to JA were better the
second day, and JA5DQH was superb. All in all, the DX component of this was not
really good; condx seemed off.

Heard one VE4 earlier, calling someone else, but "never again" was MB
heard. Finally had VE5SF call me at 13:13 just before I called it quits at
13:32.
Also missed NT, NL; never heard any of 'em. My last Sections prior to VE5 were,
from last to earlier, were PAC (found Alex, KH6/KU1CW CQing), SJV (tnx N6GEO),
NV (Tnx W7YQ), and ... of all things, NLI (tnx W2YV, plus NE (Tnx K0IL) and SF
and WV!

Oh well, lots of fun. Thanks to the ARRL for sponsoring this, and all the
splendid ops who make it happen.

73, Jim N3BB

160 Meter station:
**K3 and Alpha 87A amp. 1.3-1.4 KW.
**Direct fed tower vertical(fed at 18 feet of a 90 feet tower on the hill top)
with the coax shield connected to two radials, going out in opposite directions.
Limestone ground ... no soil on the 100 ft high hilltop. Several yagi antenna
are on this tower at various locations.
**SAL-30 receive array, located about 400 feet from the station, down the sharp
hillside to about 100 feet from the barn. The SAL-30 system is near a creek ...
good dirt down there. Fed with RG6 coax.